FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety over lack of work/casual position

livm88
Community Member

Hi,

I've always been a anxious and worrying kind of person, and this year has been full of worry, mostly in relation to unemployment and difficulty in finding steady work.

I started the year off unemployed for 5 months, and after about 150 applications both online and off, got a Casual/Temp position with a company that does occasional work in Supermarkets. This was in May, and gave me loads of work one month, then would go quiet for a while (as it has now). I managed to get another casual job not long after, but when uni started the boss wouldn't let me change my hours, so I had no choice but to leave.

Recently I just started a casual job at Coles, but it's so casual (7 hrs this week!), i'm wondering why they hired a bunch of us. An Aldi opened up across the road from them, and apparently they underestimated what it would do to business, therefore on my first week they've already sent me home early one day and cancelled two upcoming shifts! I called to inquire about next weeks roster, and they said "We've had to change it so call back tomorrow and see."

Now i'm worried i've taken on this job instead of another, and might not get any hours!

So i've started putting in more applications just in case.

This all goes along with another worry i've been having, in that i'm 28 with no career, and just started uni last year. I'm studying Arts, but wondering if I might be wasting time doing this? I think I should pick something practical like Nursing, but having self confidence issues, I feel i'd be silly choosing this, as I haven't shown interest before. I'm worried what people will think of me (having only ever shown interest in Art). I know these are totally ridiculous things to think, but I have a real issue with not doing things because i'm worried about other's opinions?

I just want to be secure financially, and it's not going to happen in Retail, as these jobs are usually casual (and seem to be becoming more so!).

I have a boyfriend, and I don't want to be a financial burden. I want to be able to contribute, and I'd really love to do an interesting job, in the hopes eventually i'll be too busy to feel anxious and stressed.

I would like to eventually move in with my bf, but can't right now financially. At the moment, I have anxiety about not seeing him every day, which adds to the stress (which i've created for myself I guess!).

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks for any advice!

Olivia

13 Replies 13

livm88
Community Member

Thanks Nikkir,

Yes our brains are a pain sometimes, always thinking non stop 🙂 can't seem to switch it off haha

Olivia

Nikkir
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Livm88,

I hear you, thats why I love sleeping 🙂

Best Wishes

Nikkir x

livm88
Community Member

Hi Nikkir,

Yes, I too love sleeping! haha.....although I have trouble sleeping long hours over night (always wake up a little before 6am, even if I go to bed at 1am!). Sleeping during the day is easy though haha

Olivia

Nikkir
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi livm88,

Take the sleep when you can 🙂 I hope you are feeling better !!!

Keep in touch 🙂

Nikkir x