FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety about moving from parents?

ScarlettR
Community Member

I'm a 30 year old female and had lived with my parents all my life. I also have a sister, who is 28, who lives with the parents too.

I didn't feel much shame living with my parents in my 20s, for I knew that a lot of young, unmarried people did the same as they studied or were job seeking.

Now that time has passed, and I'm feeling more determined than ever to get real world/ independence experience.

There is one issue: I love my mum very much and I talk to her every day. If I was on holiday on my own, I get anxious and depressed very quickly and have to email her just for the communication.

The main obstacle holding me back from renting is money. I'm hoping my current job wages will increase in the next few months, as my boss promised.

The emotional obstacle is my family. I know I'm getting older, but I still get a timid fear of not being around my mum.

Is this normal and will eventually resolve itself? Or something abnormal, like maybe I'm too attached to my mum?

1 Reply 1

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Scarlett,

Welcome to BB forums..

Scarlett, I think that you have a beautiful, very loving and caring relationship with your mum....What a beautiful soul you have...

I feel when you are ready to move out, you will do so..and when you do, your mum will still be their for you as you will be for her...Visits to each other places, diners, outings together... Moving out to get some independence doesn’t mean that you are moving out of your mums or family life...

No I don’t think you are too attached to your mum at all....you love her dearly enjoy her company... I really hope that you can do both..enjoy your independence and also involve your mum in your independence as well...

Kind thoughts..

Grandy...