FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ANTI DEPRESSANTS FOR ANXIETY (Positive stories only pls)

Maisymoo
Community Member

Hi all

Newbie here. I have severe anxiety, started in December this year after being bullied at work. My doctor tried me on medication and it wasnt helping. So I've switched to a different medication (very expensive but apparently one of the best out there). Anyway, i am wanting POSITIVE success stories of being treated with anti depressants. My friends have all convinced me it's a terrible idea (I know they aren't doctors nor mentsl illness experts). I hardly am able to exist in the world with my anxiety and I personally think it's a good idea (if it works).

POSITIVE SUCCESS STORIES PLEASE.

3 Replies 3

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Maisymoo and welcome to the forums

I myself have GAD. I have been on and off antidepressants since I was a teen (now 26). I was on one type and I felt like, if this is the best it can be then its not good. So at 24 they switched me. First dose didn't do much. With some time and dose adjustment i Finally found something that was working for me. I feel better than I have for a while. Yes it can take time and is frustrating, but you gotta hang in there. My suggestion is to be honest with your dr. Tell them what is working and what isn't. Don't stay quiet because you dont know what to say or how you feel. It is ok to say you don't know how you feel or if it is working.

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Maisymoo and Welcome to Beyond Blue

Good to see you've found your way to our community. You'll find there are many here who can give you positive stories about using anti depressants.

I first started using antidepressants about 7 years ago when I had a breakdown. During that time I was unable to function, unable to work and was like that for about 6-8 weeks before the medication took affect and I began to feel human again. For me, the did work, though it is unclear whether they specifically help anxiety. I was prescribed a medication to 'calm' me for my anxiety, and my ADs are for depression.

After my breakdown, I returned to full time work about 4 months after the breakdown and continued until my retirement last year. I think for me the ADs are more for my depressive state than my anxiety. My anxiety is always there - I get triggered, I learn what those triggers are, I manage the anxiety using a range of techniques. I've lived with it for 50 years or more. My life over the past 40 years has been a very good one, I was successful at work and home.

Do you want some tips on managing anxiety? If so, do a search in the BB search field at the top of the page for - TIPS FOR MANAGING ANXIETY.

If you feel you want to share more of your story, we're hear to listen to you. You're not alone at all Maisymoo.

Kind regards

PamelaR

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Maisymoo

Great thread topic!

I used to have bad anxiety and my GP put me on a SSRI AD specifically for anxiety. Within a few days my anxiety reduced in severity by approx 80%. My job performance improved as well as my personal life and general health too....(anxiety does have a detrimental effect on our immune system as we are often worn out)

20 years now on AD's and one of the smartest decisions that I have ever made 🙂

Thankyou again for the helpful topic

my kind thoughts

Paul