FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Am I just wasting everyone’s time?

Scruffy1
Community Member

am I just wasting mine and my therapists time? I’ve been seeing a psychologist for the last couple of months for my anxiety. I’m am struggling to describe what I’m feeling inside when asked. I can describe the feelings I’m getting from the anxiety but other feelings are non existent even when I try to find them I just come up empty all the time.

I can’t remember when I felt other feelings other than the few that I can easily describe.

am I just wasting everyone’s time or do I just need more time to work on it? I really want to keep working on it but if I can’t get past this hurdle I feel there may be little hope of success

20 Replies 20

Hello White Rose

Thank you so much for the kind words

i have taken on board what you’ve said about writing things down. I am going to do this.

i think I have been holding myself back in sessions mainly because I needed to build up enough confidence to confide in therapist.

Holding back in therapy is a game we have all played. We fear the therapist being shocked at what we say, or being untrustworthy and likely to repeat our confidences, or maybe tell us off and sometimes it is just plain shame that keeps us quiet. Well therapists don't indulge in that sort of behaviour so you are quite safe there. Being ashamed of our mental illness can take longer to get over, but with patience from the therapist and you this will start to disappear.

I believe you have made a huge leap with your therapist and that will be reflected in you feeling better and more able to cope. What's that song, "The road is long, with many a-winding turn". I think that sums up our respective journeys. Enjoy the view as you go.

Mary

I’ll report back after my next session and let you know how it went. I have a good feeling about it.

I haven’t reported back on this post in a while so thought I might update it.

i have had a couple of sessions since last posting and have turned the corner as far as trusting my therapist and have revealed a lot of my problems but not all. Some go back many many years. It felt good to finally talk to someone about it after many years.

We have things we are now able to work on and I am feeling so much better about myself. Fingers crossed it keeps moving forward.

thanks to all

Dear Scruffy

Thank you for your very welcome post. I am so pleased for you that you are developing a good and positive relationship with your therapist. Now you have got past your hesitancy you will go ahead well. Great to know.

Remember you can always write in here anytime you want some support or simply to shoot the breeze.

Mary

Last two sessions have been great. I feel I have made so much progress. I am beginning to work out the cause of my anxiety and putting other stuff that has happened over 5he years and it is all starting to make some sense. Beginning to feel much better about myself as well so hopefully I can find some inner peace soon

What to do next? My current care plan has only two sessions left and as I believe I can access more from January next year.

my issues are still unresolved but I am making progress I think. My question is since my last session will be at end of June I am worried about having to wait six months for next lot how hard it will be to continue where I left off. Any ideas on how best to deal with it?

Dear Scruffy

This is the problem with mental health plans, not realistic in terms of how long you need to spend in therapy. Yes you will need to wait until next year to continue this conversation with your psych. Has she suggested ways to manage this gap? It is huge.

Options: You can continue to see the psych at your own total expense. Do you have private insurance? There is usually a smaller component in private cover but that will not take you to the end of the year.

You can start to see a psychiatrist. These fees always get a rebate from Medicare and I suspect the gap is similar to that you are paying now. Medicare has a safety net on fees for doctors. Once you reach your safety net you will receive an additional 80% of the gap or out of pocket costs. Best to check with Medicare on where you are with your safety net total. This does include the amounts you have paid to the psychologist. It means you will need to start again with your story but it will be easier second time round.

You may also choose to stay with the psychiatrist to avoid continual changes. If your psychiatrist thinks it will be useful you can see the psychologist next year under the mental health plan and continue to see the psychiatrist at the same time.

My suggestion is to get a referral from your GP for a psychiatrist. Not much point in waiting another six/seven months to see the psychologist. Hope I haven't muddied the waters. I think it is unrealistic to give psychologists a short period of consultations. Some see their clients once a month which may not be the best course of action. If you are seeing your GP soon, why not have a chat with her.

Mary

Hi White Rose. Unfortunately being able to pay for sessions is not an option at the moment (my sessions are bulk billed) and to be honest I don’t think I want to start seeing someone else and have to go through the whole process again.

I think I will just go to next two sessions and then take a break from it until January. Definitely not an ideal situation but I guess it is what it is.

thanks again

Hello Scruffy

Money so often turns out to be the problem. If we are to be serious about mental health there needs to be a way for everyone to access care. At the moment only those with reasonable bank balances can be sure of seeing a psychologist for as long as necessary.

I understand you don't want to start over with someone new. My early sessions with the psychiatrist I now see where pretty hard. I know I was not very co-operative as starting again with someone has always been hard for me. Eventually I settled down and was meeting her every fortnight. I hasten to add that I reached the safety net very quickly as I would not have been able to pay the fee, or rather the gap which was about $100 if I remember correctly. This year I reached the safety net by the end of February and these sessions cost about $18. It's manageable.

I see the psych every week. I used to see my GP fairly often but then she left the practice and I needed to find someone else. Also a huge problem for me. So I changed to weekly appointments with the psych at her suggestion. It does work out rather well.

I hope you continue to post here so that we can give you our support.

Mary