FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Worried about my future career options

Guest7890
Community Member
I'm almost 22, currently in my second year going on to my third next and final year next year in a bachelor of communication advertising university degree. Trying to pick my classes for next year I have had many doubts this year on my overall course. I worry a lot about the jobs out there available in advertising, specifically where they are available. As I live a bit more inland and in the country side, it feels as if all the advertising roles are available outside of Melbourne and other large cities. My boyfriend and I don't tend to like the city and would prefer to live out of it, I have considered the possibility of living closer to the city but outside of the city, but housing prices seem so high where I have been looking. I worry that I will get nothing out of the bachelor and that I should have done a tafe course that will give me a specific qualification or skill that is more needed in the job market such as an engineer or a electrician. So many people tell me that I shouldn't worry about it because the job market is hard in any area and I just need to give it a go, but I just can't help worrying that what I'm doing is a waste of time. I really don't mind where I end up working, wither that's in administration or sales, all I want is a stable job that has the possibility of working up overtime to earn a higher salary, that has a base salary of around or over 50k a year. I have considered talking to someone and seeing if my university offers career counselling advice, but I feel like I don't have a clear career in mind for them to help me get into, they may not know what to tell me. Has anyone been through this or have any advice for me? I just want to be able to feel like I have some sort of a plan or multiple plans as a safety net, and I hate feeling like my current course is a waste of time, especially when they always emphasize the importance or networking and how so many people just say that its who you know that gets you into a job a lot of the time.
1 Reply 1

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Maydays,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling a bit stuck. It is really difficult when you don't know exactly what you want to do and feel unsure about what's out there and who to ask, especially (as you mentioned) when so much emphasis is put on who you know not what you know. I imagine the turbulence of the year that's just been has only exacerbated your stress around this too. I would really encourage you to talk to someone at your uni, even if you don't know exactly what you want to do or have a clear path in mind, they are there to help! Let them know what you've mentioned above - you'd prefer to live outside the city, that you don't mind being in admin/sales, that you would like some stability. Even letting them know that you are not feeling hopeful about your studies and the potential career opportunities - they may be able to offer some reassurance or help you scope out other options available. Please know that you are not alone in struggling with this - finding work and finding something that provides what you want/need out of a job can be stressful and uncertain. At 21, you are still very young, things might feel a bit hopeless and stuck right now, but it won't always feel like this.

I really hope you find someone helpful to talk things through with. Take care.