FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Stressed

apr123
Community Member
I'm 22 y.o. male, I am currently in my final semester of my final year of university. I have some history of what I was told was anxiety and I lack confidence. For the past 2 years I've been dealing with it whilst studying. This year I transferred to another degree not because I didn't like the one I was doing, but simply to avoid an aspect of it which I knew was going to cause me some anxiety. As a result I am now studying something I hate, but I feel pressure to complete it from both myself and others and I worry about what people will think of me if I do chuck it in. It is extremely frustrating for me, I feel like I am in a 'stuffed if I do, stuffed if I don't' type situation. I'm overwhemled by the pressures (whether they're real or perceived) to find a career, move out of home etc.  Over the past few years I've stopped doing several things that I previously loved such as playing sport and I believe anxiety is at the core of it. Its held me back in the past and I'm worried it will continue to for the rest of my life and I will never achieve anything because of it. All I really want is to be happy! Welcome any advice.
1 Reply 1

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear apr123,

You've cracked it.

Knowing the trigger for your anxiety (i.e. hating your changed subject) is a great effort.

A Uni last year needs a bit of excitement.    Why don't you re-introuduce the sport you loved and keep a handle on your anxiety triggers.    Kicking something around seems to be good therapy and running off the angst is recommended.

Adios, David.

PS   The rest of your life is too much to consider.  Just work on today.