FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Not Sure If Depressed or Disenfranchised Middle Class Youth.

I_Have_No_Idea
Community Member

Hi everyone, 

I've been feeling rather down of late. I suppose I'm having trouble understanding the severity of it and what I should do to improve things. I'm not even sure that what I'm feeling could be categorised as depression, but hey. That's why I'm here.

Over the last month or so I've been feeling really down whenever I have any time to think. Naturally, this is mostly at night when I'm in bed, so it has severely affected my sleeping hours. My average bed time is now 4 in the morning. On top of this I've been having thoughts of suicide and self harm. Nothing committal but they're there nonetheless. I was wondering whether anyone out there would have some advice on where I'm at currently and what I should do to deal with how I'm feeling. 

Thanks in advance. 

beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

3 Replies 3

giggles
Community Member

Hi I have no idea (which is just funny to address you as that)

Now we are not allow to give you a professional diagnosis but I would recommend you to speak to someone about what you feeling of late.

If that is no possible for you if you can know exactly what is causing these feelings in a ideal world you would continue to carry on just like seeing a scary movie but we all know it is just a movie and we can walk away to see other ones.

But because this is happening on a regular basis and affecting your sleep I reckon there is something there for you to personally work through. this site has some excellent resources for you but if you are a person that needs to talk then go for it.

all beit your peers, family someone.

Do you consider yourself a sensitive person? the reason I asked is because I am real sensitive I have learnt over the years that I need to take time to process information I have come across out in the social scene. I reckon sensitive people are the heart of humans sometimes because of what they feel and how easily  they can be hurt by others. Its a bu...........er but very very real and worth looking into.

the balanced sensitive person to me is someone who truly knows what they want and access it everyday to form their idea of success.

I am hoping for a simple answer for you because you have taken the courage to speak up and it may just be that someone can help a lot quicker than the processes we have in place. a quicky here is to call the number.

all the best Hope something moves so you can sleep again cause I spent way too long not sleeping and it took it toll somedays, Mind you it created some wonderful art pieces.

Giggles.

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear I Have No Idea... before getting serious I wanted to say that I had a chuckle at the title of your post. Its almost as if you think that 'middle class youth' arent allowed to be depressed! 

Giggles is right, going to see someone is a very good idea. It doesnt matter if you think the thoughts of suicide 'aren't that bad' - thats your brain's way of telling you that something is wrong, as is not being able to sleep and lying awake till 4 in the morning.

Have you ever heard of the term 'hour of the wolf'? Look it up on Wikipedia. Its the time between 3 and 5am, and for centuries its been known as the time of night when our fears are at their worst. Being alone with your bad thoughts is horrible at any time, but things always seem so much more frightening in the middle of the night. 

When I have struggled with sleeop and I know I'll just end up lying there, I have tried a couple of things - a, reading a book; b, going for a walk around the block; c, making a cup of tea (something herbal like chamomile with no caffeine in it). TV or computers arent sucha g ood idea because the screen brightness keeps you awake, but if you've got something you can throw on to take your mind off things like a comedy or a sports match then that could be the ticket.

gibby3794
Community Member

i'm the same at the moment and have trouble getting to sleep before about 3-4 in the morning, then due to having things t do i cannot stay in bed all day so i have to get up before 8 (and that's running late most mornings)  so im barely sleeping but i find when i have the tv on im not thinking of things if i am watching something i will pay attention to like stalked, deadly women, criminal intent etc (crime shows which i love watching and have to pay attention to) hope this helps with you to 🙂