FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

moving schools

wish2424224
Community Member

I moved schools this year (im currently in yr 11), and I hate it with my being. I'm stereotyped as the kid from the hood, and constantly never taken seriously by the people I hang out with. I have no friends, and although I guess I do have people to hang out with, it's not special. No one is going to wait for me, initiate conversation, and it's more lonely than being alone.

Everyone there is crazy racist and homophobic, and those who aren't crazy bigoted just feel so different. I feel like a literal alien, and it's worse considering I live so far away from the school.

I travel like a century to get to the school, and it's so draining. I'm always on the verge of literal collapse, and I can feel my body giving up on me, and my mind too. I keep on getting sick probably from all the travel (i take train), and worse is myself.

I always felt long bouts of numbness, and always have to constantly put up with stuff at home, but I never realised how much my friends stopped me from literally breaking. Now school feels like a land where I know no one, I can't connect, and it's so damn stressful. Not to mention I feel so damn dumb all the time.

The school offers heaps of opportunities, but they cost heaps and I am not going to ask, it's honestly such a waste, and I can't utilise anything the school provides, which defeats the purpose of going there.

I never feel like waking up, moving doing anything. I sometimes take days off to lay in bed and do nothing and lost all motivation I've had. I don't do the same hobbies I used to do (due to time constraints because of school), anything I liked I don't anymore, and it sucks a lot. I just want to do nothing all day.

My mum and dad told me it's totally cool if I move back, but I moved to this current school for my education and atar. My old school was trashy, but I never minded it. the new school is undoubtedly way better in terms of education, but what's the point when I can't think straight and don't want to do anything. I also, and I know I shouldn't feel really embarrassed if I moved back, like was I too dumb? I couldn't handle it. Cause I really couldn't handle it, and it seems stupid. Also, there's a big money problem, because if I move back I just blew a ton of money because I couldn't handle it.

For a school that prides itself on a home-like welcoming environment, I don't feel welcomed.

Anyways should I move back?

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi wish2424224,

Welcome to the forums, we are so glad that you've taken a big step in sharing your thoughts and feelings here with our wonderful community.

We are sorry to hear about your struggles with your recent transition in schools. It sounds like it has been having a significant impact on your wellbeing and mental health. 

If you would like some help finding mental health support, we would recommend that you get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

We hope that you will find some comfort here on the forums. Please feel free to keep reaching out here on your thread whenever you feel up to it.

Doog
Community Member

Hi wish2424224, I'm a parent of a son who would refuse to go to school till around 11am, if at all. With all his suspensions and threats of evictions, not to mention failure and leaving school in year 9, he went to Headspace reluctantly of course, but over 1-2 years he was able to refocus and is now doing year12. All he wanted to do was gaming on the computer all night long and sleep in the day.

No matter what school you go to, you need to focus yourself, and sometimes you need someone to talk to other than your parents. Headspace will never tell your parents what you say, as they didn't with my son. The school exempted my son for Headspace sessions, which last only 30 minutes or so, so I believe you need a 3rd ear to listen to what is troubling you. For a teenager, believe me, it is not always your parents you like to confide in, as you say, you feel guilty about their "wasted" money?

Trust me, it's never about money when we are more concerned about our children's wellbeing. You just don't know that yet. Go talk to someone at Headspace. They are not psychiatrists, you won't be put on meds.

You just talk, they listen, give you guidance and motivation, and with your permission they can call in your parents for a combined session. I went to a few with my son, where I learnt a little of what was troubling him. Take care, and don't worry too much. If you can't see yourself through this, then please call Headspace. It's great for teens.