FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Looking for similar series with similar themes to Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Rogger
Community Member

Hi, recently, I discovered an anime series called Neon Genesis Evangelion through memes. I don't normally watch anime, but the themes regarding mental health in teenagers seemed especially interesting to me. However, the show seems to also have some, er, inappropriate content which I'd prefer to avoid. I'm not sure if the show is kinda niche/obscure, but I was hoping if anyone who was aware of the show knew of any other shows which explore similar themes as the anime.

Thanks for reading!

1 Reply 1

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Rogger~

You asked a reasonable question, other anime series that deal with mental health issues, but I'd not feel comfortable giving you an answer. Yes sure there are others BUT to look at anime and get ideas about mental health issues can be a misleading undertaking.

There is nothing to say they are realistic either in portraying symptoms, or in offering valid courses of action as a result. They are not written by mental health professionals and there is no way of knowing if what you see is medically correct.

Please don't think I'm against anime, it is most enjoyable and does offer questions to think about. One of my favorites is Masamune Shirow's "Ghost in the Shell" which I keep coming back to however I'd not regard it as an authority on sensory deprivation.

I hope you find more anime to simply enjoy

Croix