FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Isolation is getting too much

unbearable
Community Member

Hi internet,

These last few weeks have really not been great. I thought that since I was already socially isolated this lockdown would be nothing new, but this is just getting unbearable. No friends, no siblings, no pets, no extra-curricular activities - that's how it was before the pandemic. All I had were my university classes. Now even that tiny morsel of social interaction is gone, every class replaced by ridiculous zoom sessions where every student is muted and invisible. I don't think I have spoken to another person since March, and I don't remember the last time I could name a friend.

Lately I have been having this overwhelming sensation of heaviness and a terrible pinching feeling that continually distracts me from any work I try to do. I spend way too long in bed but always feel tired regardless, and I can't seem to find an appetite even for my favourite foods. I just feel so lethargic and miserable that I want to sink into the ground and close my eyes forever.

Before this lockdown my social isolation would make me lonely but had never affected my productivity or health. Now it is just impossible to ignore and I really can't shake this feeling of overwhelming misery. I have considered treatment but since I am not self-harming or suicidal, I am not sure that a doctors visit during a pandemic is justified.

The main thing I want to ask this forum is whether there is anyone else in this situation, whether they know how to get out of it.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M

Hey unbearable,

Wishing you a warm welcome to the forums. It takes a lot of strength to be so open and honest with your feelings, and we are so glad that you have reached out here tonight. We're so sorry to hear how low you've been feeling and how this pandemic has affected your wellbeing. Please know that you've come to a safe space to talk about these feelings, and our friendly community is here to provide you with as much support, advice and conversation as you need.

If you feel up to it, we'd also really recommend reaching out to our Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service. This website is regularly updated with information, advice and strategies to help you manage your wellbeing and mental health during this time. You can also call our dedicated support line, available 24/7 on 1800 512 348. One of the lovely counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and offer support, advice and referrals to help you through this. If you'd feel more comfortable chatting online, you can also get in touch through Webchat at: https://cmwssonline.beyondblue.org.au/

Please feel free to keep checking in here on your thread, and keep us updated on how you're going whenever you feel up to it.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi unbearable

I feel similar to yourself..the feelings of isolation are awful to have. Yet very common with the physical restrictions we are going through....I know you are not alone

You are strong by creating your own thread and kudos to you for doing so!

You mentioned' I am not sure that a doctors visit during a pandemic is justified'.....Just my humble opinion if thats okay....You have made an excellent point about seeing your doc...After having social anxiety for a while the best help I have had is from my GP

You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by making a double appointment with your doctor 🙂

what do you think?

Paul