FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Do I need mental help?

LonleyAngel
Community Member

Hi everyone just wanted your opion on this.

Basically i like talking about violence, alcohol and other things like that, but i don't know if i atually like talking about it or if I'm just creating a person in my head and trying to be them.

.Please tell me your thoughts

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi LonelyAngel,

Thank you for reaching out to us here on these safe and non-judgmental forums. We think it is very brave of you to share your truth about having such thoughts and discussions. Rather than focus on the details of such thinking, we'd recommend asking our wonderful community here for advice on how they manage their more disturbing thoughts. While the peer support they offer is often quick, it's important to remember it isn't immediate.

We suggest reaching out to our friends at KidsHelpline to have a private and confidential chat about managing these thoughts. They're available 24/7 by phone on 1800 55 1800 or by webchat: https://kidshelpline.com.au/get-help/webchat-counselling

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear LonleyAngel~

I'd like to welcome you here and at the same time say I regret the time it has taken for you to get another post back. Please be assured it is not you or the subject of your post, simply the system does not work as well as we would like

I'm glad you met Sophie_M, she gives good advice.

Now for those thoughts and wondering about yourself. Frankly if you were actually committing violence, drinking lots of alcohol and things like that I'd be very worried about you.

However that is not the case, and I'm not worried at all. So OK at the moment you like talking about them.

That's fine. I think there are very few young people (and not so young too) who are in the process of becoming adults who do not talk about all sorts of subjects, everything from sex to going out dining in fancy restaurants all dressed up to fast cars. You name it, it's been thought of and talked about. It can all be very exciting.

It does not mean these things are you, just you want to talk about them for now. It also does not mean you are trying to become a person like that . In fact people do not try to become a certain way, they just grow naturally into themselves over time.

When you think about it your choice of subjects is not that surprising. There are an awful lot of movies and streaming TV programs out there that use these subjects all the time exactly becuse they are exciting to watch (not experiencing them oneself of course) -so enjoying talking about them is natural.

The fact you are worried you might become like those things you have been talking about shows your basic nice nature, you are maturing into a pretty good person.

And yes it is confusing in the process, I found that too. I'm afraid I was rather boastful and said I'd done glamours things I'd not, and generally talked about a place in the world very different from mine.

It sorted out OK. I know who I am and that came about just by living.

If you find you are repeatedly troubled by this thinking and talking please do as Sophie Suggests and call or web-chat the Kid's Help Line., they are pretty sensible and understanding.

You are welcome to talk more here anythime

Croix

Hey, Croix thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. 🙂