Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Where to start?

Hi there


Just wanting to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation. For years I have struggled along just hoping that it was just a phase. But when I finally actually get the courage up to ask for help by a GP, I felt like I was an idiot for raising my concerns. So I left it and just tried to make changes. Fast forward to now and again even though I had made changes in my life. I still feel like I’m swamped by feelings of depression and anxiety. Again I brought up my concerns now with another GP and I feel like its a similar situation. 

Anyone else been in this sort of situation and what’s the best way to ask for help? 


3 Replies 3

Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Just_an_ordinary_bloke,


Thank you for your courage in posting here on the forums, welcome to the community.


It takes a lot of strength to open up to somebody that you feel like you're struggling, and to receive that kind of reception from somebody who's meant to help you is not okay. Your GP should be supportive, and help make you aware of the options you have in terms of speaking with a psychologist or therapist.


You can try talking with your current GP again to express your concerns and if you receive a similar reaction, I would find another GP if you're able to. You deserve to have somebody who will listen to and validate your concerns, and tell you where to go from here. 


I hope this advice helps you out, please feel free to reach out again and we'll try to help as best as we can.


Take care, SB

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello & welcome Just_an_ordinary_bloke

I've become aware just how difficult it can be to find the help you are looking for. It sure doesn't help when the GPs you see don't seem to be interested or take any care to listen to you & offer what help they can or offer a referral, leaving you feeling worse than when you went in. Sadly, it seems many people have to search around. trying to talk to different GPs before they find one who is helpful.

I don't know your circumstances, but, may I suggest, don't go into a lot a of detail, but ask for either a Mental Health Care Plan or for a referral to a therapist, maybe a psychiatrist.

Finances may be one thing to consider, if you want to see a private psychiatrist. 

To see a psychologist using a Mental Health Care Plan comes with limits on how many times you can see them in a year.

Whatever you choose, there may well be some considerable waiting before you actually can see tem.

There's lots of info on this site. Feel free to look around. Bear in mind, some areas of the Forums may have upsetting material. There are warnings at the beginning of these areas & on some of the discussions within.

Personally, I have found it helpful to go to the Australian Psychological Association & the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. Both have a means to search out a professional you might like to see. You can find out if they are focusing on depression & anxiety or if they are not far from you, if they will do telehealth, & more. If you can present your GP with the name/s of (maybe a few because the wait time between them may vary), then,you can ask for what you want, backed up with some confidence, having done some research for yourself.

Meanwhile, you may continue to talk here on BB. Maybe you'd like to call the BB's own counselling service on: 1300 224 636

Kind regards


Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,


I am sorry you are going through this and have had a difficult experience with GP's. Unfortunately, they are the first point of call often to help you sort through this. It is their job. They see many different cases everyday, some more extreme and some small in the scheme of things. Bottom line, they have trained for years to help you - it's their job. If you feel like you need help with your mental health, that is not stupid. My advice would be to be honest with your GP and be determined to advocate for yourself (e.g., make it clear that you want to see a psychologist), this will hopefully help you get the result you want. 


I hope you work things out,

Jaz xx