FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

too much nervous energy

BlueyRed
Community Member
I'm currently 6 days into 14-day mandatory quarantine. I'm fully vaxxed and have tested negative three times already. I'm so full of nervous energy I can't sleep. My current way of sleeping is staying up until my body crashes and I just sleep whenever that happens. My hands are constantly shaking and nothing works. Not baths, not tea, not meditation, not deep breathing. I've run in circles around my house, I've worked out with resistance bands, I've even done yoga daily. I've used everything my psych has told me for anxiety. They worked in the past, but not now. I don't know what to do. I have this constant pressure and energy in my chest. I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm looking for literally any help right now.
5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Hey Bluey/Red,

It sounds like things have been very rough for you for some time and that you have little to no support around you. It’s almost no wonder you're feeling the way you are. It takes a lot of strength to share what’s happening for you and reach out to our online community and we’re glad that you have.

We hope that you find our forums to be a safe and supportive space to talk through your thoughts and feelings. Our community is here for you and we trust that our online members will stop by to provide some support. 

We want you to know that there is always additional support available to you, whether it's from our professional mental health counsellors Beyond Blue (available 24/7 on 1300 22 4636) or our friends at Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467).

We hope that you stay safe but strongly urge you that if you feel like acting on any thoughts of ending your life, then this is an emergency and you should contact 000 immediately.

Keep checking back in with us whenever you need to.

Pumpkinella
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi BlueyRed,

So sorry to hear this, sounds very tough and I'm annoyed you have to go through it!

Firstly I think keep up all the things your doing - I know they are not getting rid of the nervous energy/feeling in your chest but they are likely helping some, so sticking to whatever schedule you have for those is probably a good thing.

I'm trying to think of things that could distract you.... Have you googled shows you can binge watch (The Undoing on Binge is a good one). Are you a reader? I am thinking of perhaps googling some really addictive books might be good. Like I couldn't stop reading the Harry Potter books. Video games - I know that doesn't seem like the healthiest option but might serve as a welcome distraction at least for a couple of hours.

For my anxiety the best thing was begin mindful with every activity I engage in and accepting my emotions. I know you do this but I think focusing on allowing your feelings sounds very necessary rather than wishing it away. I know that sounds horrible because they sound like really hard feelings to manage, but we know the added anxiety of wishing the anxiety away escalates things..

Also having lots of conversations with others. Being able to engage socially, even if you just chat here a lot - read peoples posts try to help them out with your advice if you feel up to it. Its another form of distraction and connection that may help....

Here to chat!

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi BlueyRed,

That must be incredibly difficult. I can't even imagine how challenging mandatory quarantine must be. Could it be that this is adding to your anxiety?

I really like Pumpkinella's suggestions above - do any speak to you?

I think it's really great you tried the tools in your anxiety toolkit. Maybe considering this is a completely new situation finding new things might work?

We are definitely here for you - please keep us updated

Pumpkinella
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi BlueyRed,

I just thought of something else as well - have you thought about starting a little short course in something you might be interested in?

There are a few websites that offer this for free or a small fee:

Udemy - https://www.udemy.com/ - I am currently doing the learning to draw course which was really good.

Free courses on Coursera (https://www.coursera.org/), Khan Academy, Future Learn (https://www.futurelearn.com/)

Perhaps dedicating yourself to learning a few different things might help occupy your days and distract yourself a bit?

As missep123 said, trying new things might be a good way to go.

Here to chat

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi BlueyRed,

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going thru. It sounds rough, and it sucks that you have to go through it even though you're fully vaxxed and tested negative three time. Hang in there bud, just a little longer, you can do it. You're doing great so far, and others have made some really good suggestions on how to keep yourself occupied and filling your quarantine time.

If it helps, I'd be happy to listen to what is it that is making you feel nervous? Or just a general chat on the forums helps too. We're here for you BlueyRed.

Jt