FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling with anxiety and a partner with depression.

Eimanny295
Community Member

Hi,

I am new here.

I am 26 years old, I struggle with anxiety and I have a partner who struggles with severe depression.

I am struggling in my own mental state, currently more than ever and I am trying to navigate building a life with my partner who is living with depression and I need advice

I don't even know where to start or what to say. The good times are good, the bad times are bad and the fights are bad. Which I'm sure stems from mental health, but also impacts our mental health.

Has anyone been through a similar situation?

1 Reply 1

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Eimanny, it's so difficult if one person in a relationship has this illness but more so when both are struggling.

With anxiety, there is a great chance depression is not far away, and vice-versa, although I'm not a doctor, I know that I've had the two of these combined, although we may try and disguise it as being one, the other slips in without noticing it.

The good are terrific, but we dread the bad times because who is the person to makeup and it may alternate each time but it's never easy.

Does your doctor know that either or both of you are suffering from this because that's what we suggest to be your first port of call, they can put you both on the 'mental health plan' which entitles you to 10 Medicare paid sessions with the possibility of other sessions to visit a psychologist.

Can you please let us know.

Geoff.