FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

so tired

shaanu
Community Member

Hi

I have just joined and this is my first post.

I have ben feeling so foggy for a while now (more than an year). My manager left work 8 months ago and I have stepped in his role since then. I applied for this role and have just been told that I got it. But I have been plagued with self doubt and so many conflicting emotions. I know many people feel that I should feel grateful that I have reached this milestone whereas some people have to work much harder than this to actually get promoted.

every day feels like a challenge. It's such a feat to get our of bed to go to work. Working is such a chore and I am just so tired. Physically and mentally, I am just drained. It is so hard to explain myself to anyone without bursting into tears. People remark that it's just work, why are you putting so much pressure on yourself. but it feels much more than that. sometimes I feel that it might be just so much easier to just not wake up. Then I will not have to worry about making nay decisions.

I want to be able to enjoy what I do, But there is no other jobs that I feel like I could do. I am in the healthcare sector and I feel that I will be letting my team down as well as my family. I wish that I could just resign, but I still have a mortgage and bills to pay.

I want to be able to talk to people without the fear of being judged and thought of as wanting a cop out. I have been working for the last 16 plus years and I am just tired. Tired of everything

7 Replies 7

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi shaanu,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand that starting a new job role would have its challenges especially if it’s a step up.

If your feeling overwhelmed is there anyone who could provide you with extra training at work?

On the up side with any challenge it will bring you growth but if your finding that it is causing you anxiety or distress I recommend you have a chat with your gp, you could do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist who can give you strategies for anxiety.

Hang in there…..

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Shaanu,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with so much right now. That sounds like a lot to be managing and I can feel your fatigue and lull through your post. I agree with petal22, that perhaps you could look into seeing a professional for some support? This may be a really helpful step. Also, do you have anyone close to you in your network you can confide in?

Thinking of you.

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Management requires a certain callousness to see the objective without becoming emotionally impacted by the weight of responsibility - there are some tough decisions that won't please everyone and, as the saying goes, it can be lonely at the top. Truth be told, they don't have those executive toilets for nothing (!) and, put simply, it's not for everyone.

Being tired won't help your quest either, as good organisation and a clear head will give you the upper hand. Remember, it takes awhile before you can actually settle into the role; filling someone else's shoes can be as uncomfortable as it sounds.
Also, as for others in health sector, things are not really standard fare at the moment and there are bound to be added pressures to deal with.
Perhaps you could relegate some tasks or have an assistant in the interim - don't beat yourself up about it though, and talk to the internal coordinator/HR about getting some additional help.

After sixteen years you might be suffering burnout, and a change of career (even at reduced wage) could be the panacea and impetus you seek to enjoy yourself once more.
Presently, I feel you are 'comfortable' with the familiar and the thought of venturing out fills you with trepidation - that's fair enough, but you might be surprised at whatever hidden talents you may have within as yet untapped.

Your happiness and quality of life is not contingent on anyone's approval (not even your mortgage provider!), so don't let that sway your opinion of where you want to be.

shaanu
Community Member
Thank you so much for your kind words. I have spoken to my GP. I don't have a regular one and saw this one for the first time. she has recommended a psychologist for me. I have an appointment on Monday. fingers crossed that they can provide me with some insight

Hi Tranzcrybe

Thank you so much for taking the time out to comment.

I agree with your assessment. I am totally burnt out and I have always had a fear of change.

I have spoken to my husband and he agrees that the job is just not worth it. I am currently looking at other avenues. however, I won't wait to get a new job before leaving. I have not given my mental health the respect that it deserves. It's high time that I put myself first.

maybe this is a golden opportunity for me to step out of my comfort zone and make some much needed changes in my life. I cannot stress enough how happy I am just thinking about formulating my resignation letter.

shaanu
Community Member
your words are so much appreciated. I am feeling like I am at the end of my tether. It has taken me a long time to realise that I needed help. It's so hard taking the first step and asking for help but now that I have, I feel like my burden is a little bit lighter already

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi shaanu,

Thank you I’m so glad that I could help you in some way. 😊

Well done for seeking the help that you need.

I have a lived experience of severe anxiety OCD but I’ve now recovered thanks to the professional help that I received.

There is always a way forward…..and people who can help us.

All the best for your appointment on Monday just stick with it. 😊

Please know I’m here if you ever want to chat or have any questions.