FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Reaching out

BeautyBest
Community Member
Today I have reached out to Beyond Blue and that has made me feel a little better. I suffer severe depression, I am a lady of 72 years of age and sometimes I feel I can't go on. My trigger this time has been family matters and I hate it, I reach out to them and they push me away.
3 Replies 3

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear BeautyBest~

Welcome to Beyond Blue's Forum, I'm glad you came. Sadly reaching 72 and having a ton of life experience is no real defense against depression, which has multiple causes and any age can be susceptible.

Would you like to say how long you have had this illness and what steps you have taken to get treatment? I ask as I was unable to improve without competent medical help and suspect many others are in the same boat.

You mentioned being pushed away by your family, this is something that one feels worse about as one gets older, the young often still have a lot to learn about thoughtlessness and what is important.

May I ask if you have anyone who is there to care and support you? I also notice picture of a little dog, do you have one as a companion?

I would like to hear more from you

Croix

mayu
Community Member
hi Croix,
I appreciated your response to BeautyBest, very compassionate. I have wanted to post myself but couldn't figure out how to so chose you to approach about the "how".
I have anxiety and depression which I have been doing well at caring for myself through however I can feel loneliness building up and don't quite know what to do as I find many people don't see me or perhaps don't want to befriend me when I reach out to make friends.
what to do. I am unwell at the moment which means I am at home mostly which brings it home to me that I don't have friends to pop in and cheer me along.
any thoughts. kind regards

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Welcome mayu and beautybest to the forum.

I am so glad you both have been brave to write your first post here.

I know it can be hard to try to write down all your thoughts when you are depressed and confused.

Mayu, I can see how are hard you are trying to get well but you are disappointed to find out you are feeling lonely.

Yiu have made a first step reaching out here.

Would you be up to volunteering when you feel better or even just going for a walk in your neighbourhood. I have met many people walking. .

Beautybest, Croix has given you a supportive reply with some questions.

It would be nice to continue this conversation with you both.

quirky