Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

pinkflamingo385 What is the issue here Ptsd? Depression?
  • replies: 1

I feel in love with someone i pushed them away as far as i could even by the things i said to them, now there is no point of return .. However the past i have with them haunts my mind, what we said, things we did it goes around in circles in my mind.... View more

I feel in love with someone i pushed them away as far as i could even by the things i said to them, now there is no point of return .. However the past i have with them haunts my mind, what we said, things we did it goes around in circles in my mind. They where never abusive to to me they where nice, kind, caring ect I have been told that i have Ptsd because i can't shut my mind of from the past that i have with them. The way i pushed them away haunts my mind that i can't forgive myself and it hurts that i done it to myself. Its just a never ending cycle of making myself sick with over thinking things. Anyway i have no idea if this is even Ptsd but some things trigger me eg: a song, movie, quote, places we went to can set my mind of i think negative thoughts about the situation. Would this just be depression or ptsd? I pushed them so far away that the law was involved. We got over it and became friends again for a while until i started pushing away again this time it seems to be for good my plan worked but it leaves me feeling dead inside cos of it.

Maree1993 I’m stuck
  • replies: 7

Not really sure what to write.. or where to start. I’m struggling to open up to anyone about how I feel on a day to day basis. I have friends I can speak to about numerous things but I can’t seem to bring myself to admit what’s actually going on deep... View more

Not really sure what to write.. or where to start. I’m struggling to open up to anyone about how I feel on a day to day basis. I have friends I can speak to about numerous things but I can’t seem to bring myself to admit what’s actually going on deep down. One reason is because I know some friends won’t get it. The biggest reason I think is because I’m scared to admit to feeling something, and then when those feelings change people don’t think I’m being honest with myself, even though from my best friends perspective it would be because she cares. And for my feelings deep down... I feel like I don’t even have any. I’m not happy but I’m not sad. I’m not excited about many things but I’m not unmoved by things either. I don’t find many things funny, so I don’t really laugh. I will in a general conversation have a chuckle. I’ll crack the odd, easy joke at work or with friends, whatever. Though I couldn’t tell you the last time I really really laughed, Iike genuinely laughed. I constantly feel like I’m in a slump and then feeling guilty because there’s nothing even ‘wrong’ with my life. Most of the time I feel like I want something bad to happen so I have an excuse to be sad. What can I do?

lonelyguy new here
  • replies: 4

hello all im new just joined im a single i have anxicty depression i have no friends at all apart from my golden lab kimba who is in training to become my service dog im really struggling here to even leave the house atm i only leave the house is to ... View more

hello all im new just joined im a single i have anxicty depression i have no friends at all apart from my golden lab kimba who is in training to become my service dog im really struggling here to even leave the house atm i only leave the house is to walk my dog or to do shopping most of my time is spent watching tv listning to music i all so carnt work due to a back injury but i try to keep active as possiable im looking for a friendship some company but as iv bean alone for so long will take me time to let someone into my life as its all hard for me to trust ppl to as im a vary quiet shy person to i preatty mutch keep to my self id really like to find gf as in a true friendship with a girl. im not into pubs clubs as i dont like crowds either have any questions or want to know more ask me im michael

Jurani Unclear of future with current partner
  • replies: 8

Hi, my partner and I live separately. Something isn't quite right and I don't know how to figure out what that is. I've always been good with money. Not long after we met [we're both middle aged], we discussed finances. It turns out that he hasn't ac... View more

Hi, my partner and I live separately. Something isn't quite right and I don't know how to figure out what that is. I've always been good with money. Not long after we met [we're both middle aged], we discussed finances. It turns out that he hasn't accrued any savings but can't explain what he's done with his money either. He just says he doesn't know. I've asked him if he's had a gambling habit [which could explain it] and he's said 'no'. I did some calculations [without him knowing], and included all expenses that he'd have and even upt the amounts, and even after doing this something isn't adding up? He should have significant savings. I even included $200 on top of the usual expenses for entertainment. He had been single for quite sometime before we met. He has no explanation as to what he's used his money for. You could say it's none of my business, but I can't help the way that I'm thinking. He's had no drug or alcohol addictions. If he can't explain this, how does he expect me to move forward if I'm not even sure we're on the same page re finances? When i bring this topic up, he gets angry and says he refuses to discuss it, then the subject is closed? I need an answer. to me this is important. He hasn't even given me one reason why he hasn't got any savings. Even if he said 'I wasted alot of money on......[whatever], at least I'd have SOME clarification, but instead I'm just left frustrated. If the table was turned, I'd have no problem explaining my spending habits if he was asking me. Why can't he just tell me what he's spent his money on? I doubt if I'd be judgemental. I feel he owes me an explanation. Am I wrong for expecting this? When I've asked him about this, I do it in a calm manner...I don't get angry. Do you think someone should explain their past if it's relevant to the future? Am I wrong to want an answer to this? What if he has had a past problem with money but isn't telling me? I've asked him now 3 times [long breaks inbetween], and still nothing? What do you think is going on here? Hope someone can help? TIA

Valerie50 Not myself
  • replies: 9

So where to begin......... I am in my early 50's. Had a great job, have a beautiful house, have a fantastic daughter and have fantastic friends. Only problem is that I have had to move away to remote North because of husband's job. He has always want... View more

So where to begin......... I am in my early 50's. Had a great job, have a beautiful house, have a fantastic daughter and have fantastic friends. Only problem is that I have had to move away to remote North because of husband's job. He has always wanted to work up north and being the good wife, have come with him. It has been 3 months now. I have not found employment and to be honest, only really started looking in the last month. Applications are in! I miss my daughter terribly along with my home and friends and cooler climate. Moving to the heat with menopause.......what was I thinking!! So, maybe drinking a bit more than I should......and had a massive blow out with the hubby. Packed my bags, ready for divorce. next day, couldn't breathe, massive anxiety attack.........and apologised for my behaviour. We had a chat and thought it was a good idea I chatted with someone. So, Here I am. I haven't really met any one here and those that I have are much younger with young families so we really don't have any similar interests. I walk in the morning then tend to hibernate in the air conditioning for the rest of the day. Have a small dog for company during the day and hubby works long hours. Positives are that I'm with my husband of 26 years, in a fairly nice house (air conditioned) and am pretty healthy apart from that dreaded menopause hot flush and mood swings. Love cooking, but with just the 2 of us now, tend to scale back. Did the depression test, I am mild and yes have always had a bit of anxiety when things get yukky - only had two bad attacks that i remember. I think i am just bored and lonely!!

Little_Joe Little Joe
  • replies: 6

High all I am a new chum with an anxiety problem, I have been a workaholic all my life an an ex country wheat belt farmer. I am now living in the city and now retired. I do a few little jobs for locals although now because of a couple of health issue... View more

High all I am a new chum with an anxiety problem, I have been a workaholic all my life an an ex country wheat belt farmer. I am now living in the city and now retired. I do a few little jobs for locals although now because of a couple of health issues I now seem to have way too much time on my hands and wait in the garden for a weed to come up (not really but!!! ). My problems is how to think positive about what may or may not happen re my heath when I do realize I cannot change the result what ever it may be. People say think positive but as you guys know it is not that simple. Anyway this is a way I hope may help, is there a meeting place in Perth similar to an AA type where we get together and verbally discuss our personal issues??

Shenpa I don't feel I belong anywhere
  • replies: 4

Hello. I'm a 68 year old woman. I've been depressed and anxious probably all my life. I believe the depression is a symptom of not just childhood trauma, but ongoing traumas. I've had so many different diagnoses over the years, and different treatmen... View more

Hello. I'm a 68 year old woman. I've been depressed and anxious probably all my life. I believe the depression is a symptom of not just childhood trauma, but ongoing traumas. I've had so many different diagnoses over the years, and different treatments, but I continue to get depressed. I've tried hard to get well, and feel like I've failed. I live alone and have three grown up children. No other family. I feel very lonely, and any friends I used to have, I've lost. I've never had a healthy relationship. Weekends are the worst. Thanks for reading this.

BellBellStar Just want to hide from it all

Hi all, i’m new to these forums so bare with me. I can get down every now and then but there are so many things affecting me right now that I just feel unable to deal with to the point where I have been drinking a bit just to try and get some sleep. ... View more

Hi all, i’m new to these forums so bare with me. I can get down every now and then but there are so many things affecting me right now that I just feel unable to deal with to the point where I have been drinking a bit just to try and get some sleep. I’m in my last semester of university and have several assessments and exams going on. I’ve been juggling nearly full time study with full time work until this week when my employer verbally abused me and I have been to afraid to go back. On top of this all next week is the first anniversary of my mother’s passing and I just keep remembering all those final moments when she was in palliative care this time last year. I know that these are all pretty valid reasons to make me feel as depressed as I am but I don’t want to go out, talk to anyone, do anything and struggling to do any uni work even with a final exam tomorrow and I just generally feel burnt out and not enjoying life. I’ve tried counselling once but didn’t find it particularly helpful as I am not very forthcoming. Would really appreciate some ideas and support to try and get me through these next few weeks xx

Lito_lapid Gday

Gday guys been a member for a while but this is the first time I'm posting. Names carlo and I have a question to ask I've been at my current employer for 2 years now and for basically the 2 years have been great and I havent had issues but last month... View more

Gday guys been a member for a while but this is the first time I'm posting. Names carlo and I have a question to ask I've been at my current employer for 2 years now and for basically the 2 years have been great and I havent had issues but last month my work hired a casual who was alright for 2 weeks with me , then we had an argument where he called me lazy, an animal and someone who cant think and is dumb. Which has made my anxiety and depression worsen. It came to a head when my boss took me aside to suggest I look for a jeep job. Which has made me even more anxious and depressed. I wake up in terror of the thought of going to work and I'm not happy to do the job i have to do .