FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Question: Why is there no child abuse survivors forum on Beyond Blue?

MsWharton
Community Member

Why is there no abuse survivors or PTSD forum? Huge number of adults were abused as children and as a result suffer from PTSD or Complex PTSD. Many more are just diagnosed with general depression and anxiety. Beyond Blue has said it acknowledges that child abuse causes mental illness. It is in fact a leading cause of mental illness. Why make forums to discuss only the symptoms (like depression, anxiety) and not one of the main causes: child abuse?

Beyond Blue has said it supports the provision of more services for people abused as children, so why doesn't it lead by example?

This is especially important as it has been shown that a trauma focus is essential to healing and recovery for survivors. Treating the symptoms does not work.

3 Replies 3

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Ms Wharton,

I don't have the answer to your question, it is something you might have to contact Christopher Banks or one of the moderators about.

Maybe there are just too many ways people can suffer from depression to have a heading for each scenario.

I have not personally experienced sexual abuse from a parent, but did experience other forms of abuse, mainly physical, psychological and neglect.

I do understand what you are questioning here, like I mentioned though how many subjects could be covered?

Would you like to share your story here now you have started this post? I'm sure there are many people using this forum who have experienced abuse either as a child or as an adult.

Maybe sharing a little of your experience, or the experience of others and the effect it has had on lives, might be beneficial for you.

From Mrs. Dools

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi MsWharton, welcome to the forums.

If you have a look in the Trauma section, you will find many members discussing their experiences with PTSD and abuse - this is the most appropriate section to post your story in as well.

Bear in mind when sharing your story that, as with any post made to the forums, content is subject to moderation according to the community rules.   This means that, for the safety of other users, we will edit graphic references to suicide, suicide methods, self-harm and details of abuse or violence. Another thing to bear in mind when sharing your story is that recovery from trauma is a multi-layered process, and while some trauma survivors are able to tell their stories easily, for others it can be re-traumatising rather than assisting with healing; particularly if the telling of the story focuses on the detail of what happened without also seeking support. 

beyondblue is focused on breaking down stigma around anxiety and depression at many levels and across many different population groups. A lot of progress has been made, but there is still a long way to go. As members of this forum, you’re all a crucial part of this work by being here, sharing your stories and helping others. 

With regard to specific advocacy around childhood abuse, beyondblue are not experts in this area, but there are already organisations working at a very high level on this: including ASCA (Adults Surviving Child Abuse), which is working to support survivors of child abuse who wish to engage with the Royal Commission. ASCA have their own helpline, a membership, and some great resources for both survivors and friends and partners of survivors. You can find more detail on their website here:

Reach Out provides support in this area for youth:

Hope this helps.

Good question!  Depression is a major result of child abuse, among lost of other causes.  I can relate to this.