FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PTSD?

A_Tech
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum thing so don't really know where to begin. I was wondering if there is a dedicated chat room for PTSD?? 

I know there are many aspects of PTSD that are the same as depression, anxiety etc, but its also so very different.

It would be nice to chat to others that KNOW what I'm talking about.

I can find heaps of sites in the U.S. but the time difference makes it hard.

Waiting with anticipation,

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Gas tech, welcome. We don't have a specific forum labelled PTSD, but it does come up as a topic all the time. Depending on their specific situation at the time, people tend to post about it in the section where it seems most relevant for them.

Below are some links to recent threads for you to get started with - please feel free to reach out to our members in these, or start your own thread with more detail about what support you'd like.

(My hyperlinking is down temporarily, please copy and paste the URLs)

PTSD, Anxiety, Disassociation, I'm not sure I want to do this anymore

PTSD from violence, abuse, grief and traumatic events

PTSD and now secondary depression

PTSD from an anaesthesia awareness trauma

Newbie PTSD

Bullying and my PTSD

PTSD, anxiety and no support

I have PTSD, I can't cope anymore

A_Tech
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for the help. I will look into these, I have already come across a couple of threads that relate to PTSD. 

As I'm medical, I can't say too much to most people, it can be disturbing.

Maybe I'll start a medical/first responder thread.

Thanks again

Zan
Community Member

Gi'day Gas tech --- PTSD -- such a biggie. PTSD can be caused by a brain trauma (as per a single event head injury, or repeated events, or severe alcoholism/drug abuse, or from concussive blasts in a war zone), or from any life experience that causes abnormal distress.

If you've managed to rule out permanent brain trauma through MRI scans or CAT scans its a simple matter (if the word simple there can even be used) of going over the traumatic events until it becomes another non-traumatic life experience, almost viewed through the eyes/memory of another younger version of yourself, and not yourself as you now are (or will be).

If, on the other hand, you have yet to rule out brain trauma, the journey becomes a lot harder (sorry) and will come with many trips and falls along the way .. but it is still a journey worth going through and eventually you will discover your own unique version of peace of mind that will be different to anyone else's version, simply because yours is a unique story captured within your neural net/brain/thoughts.

Just know that others have walked that same path -- and are still here, living life.