FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Possible bipolar and/or BPD?

roomtempnoodles
Community Member

Recently i've been unwell and started noticing unusual changes in my mood. I'm 19 and i've been having violent mood swings + severe episodes of panic attacks / anger / anxiety / depression. it's been affecting relationships with my family + friends + current love interest to the point where i've been locking myself in my wardrobe as a sense of comfort and isolation. Most days staying in bed is all i can do because of how mentally exhausted i've been. i've stopped doing things i enjoy doing and i haven't been leaving the house. i have an overwhelming feeling of shame + worthlessness + and not being good enough. i just feel empty and i don't know how to cope with it or control it. 

6 Replies 6

Sophie_M
Hi roomtempnoodles!

Thank you very much for finding the determination to share this with the community and thank you for being here with us here in the forums. 

It sounds like this has been a very sudden change in health and feeling for you... it can be really unsettling and fearful when it happens this way. We want to check in first and foremost and make sure you are safe - that there are safe places to hide out, rest... that bed is at least a reasonably calming space for you? Please let us know what is happening for you in terms of staying as stable and comfortable as possible.

To your main question - Certainly we know that Bipolar and BPD can have these symptoms, but a lot of severe forms anxiety disorder, certain mood disorders and adjustment disorders. Trauma and PTSD can also make impacts that feel a lot like this. It isn't possible for forum members to provide medical / psychiatric advice - so we would like to ask if you do have any clinicians or mental health supports at the moment? Have you spoke to your GP for help?

We would love to help start the process for you if we can - Please feel free to reach out to the team here - 1300 22 4636, or click here to start a webchat.

Other services that could get this started for you are Mental Health Online,  and even for some assessment, you can try MindSpot  - 1800 61 44 34

Please continue to reach out, roomtempnoodles! We hope to hear from you again soon.

Regards,

Sophie M.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi roomtempnoodles,

Sorry you are feeling this way I understand this can feel distressing.

As Sophie has mentioned have you been able to discuss with your gp about the way you are feeling?

I have a lived experience of severe anxiety OCD I have now recovered from this condition thanks to the help I received from health professionals.

I understand our conditions are different but with the correct help you can learn to manage what you are going through.

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi roomtempnoodles,

Welcome to the forum. It's very brave for you to share your challenge. It must be very hard for you.

Let's don't do self diagnosing cause we're not professionals.

The right way is to seek professional help ASAP, e.g., ring Beyondblue hotline, or come to your GP for a referral to a psychologist.

Hope everything will be better.

Mark

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey roomtempnoodles, cute username! 

How are you doing today? 

Other members have given you wonderful suggestions. Are you thinking about having an appointment with your GP to talk about the issues you're having? 

Please call the Beyond Blue Helpline ANY TIME you feel things getting out of control. There are beautiful supportive Counsellors that can listen and give you some direction to help you get off this mousewheel. 

Hoping you come back and let us know how you're going! 

EM

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Roomtempnoodles

Thanks for sharing your thoughts as you are trying to cope with moods.

Co you find keeping a 

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry accidentally sent reply without touching it arrg

room I want to say do you think a mood journal would hel writing down how long mood last fir and how they make you feel and how you act.When you see a Dr  you could share your mood journal with.

If you feel like posting  , there are people listening.