FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New here and currently struggling

tj_shutter
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Was searching for a way to be able to connect and talk with others, currently really struggling with my PTSD, Anxiety and Depression. Kind of ramped up a few nights ago when my wife said that she no longer felt romantic love for me. Someone who has been my best friend and soulmate kind of rejecting you is really hurting at the moment. The relationship isn't over but in my PTSD mind it feels like whole world has now come crashing down, and questioning what the point of living is. Hoping to hear from others who might be in a similar boat and can chat. As those with PTSD will know it can be hard to maintain friendships, so don't really have anyone else to share how I'm feeling with 😞

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi tj_shutter,

Welcome to the forum, it's so great that you have decided to join the community of likeminded people. Indeed, PTSD can create all sort of reactions and fears, particularly when going through the pain of being rejected by your best friend and soul mate. This must be a really tough time for you.

Please always know that there are support for you if you need to speak to someone. There's MensLine Australia is a free 24/7 telephone and online counselling service for men with emotional health and relationship concerns. You can contact them on 1300 78 99 78 or https://mensline.org.au/ 

We would recommend that you get in touch with an organisation called Relationships Australia on 1300 364 277. They provide relationship support services for individuals, families and communities and aim to support all people in Australia to achieve positive and respectful relationships.  

you would like some help finding mental health support, we would recommend that you get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals. 

The community is here for support and you do not have to deal with anything alone. Please reach out for support whenever you need it.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Deat Tj~

I'm glad you met Sophie_M as she gives good advice. I do feel sorry you have had to go so long in getting a second response, please be assured it is nothing to do with you personally, or the subject of your post - far from it. It is simply our system does not always work as we would like, a great nuisance all round.

OK, I too have the same illnesses, PTSD, bouts of depression and ongoing anxiety, however the causes are a long time ago and I've recovered to the point where I have been able to resume my past loving relationship with my wife and family, work and gain satisfaction from it, and can give support as well as be supported. All this from someone who was suicidal.

I'm going on about me to give you an idea there can be a light at the end of the tunnel, not only for your current relationship with your wife, but all in all a better future with symptoms under control (well mostly anyway:)

Actually I'm not surprised your wife has reached a stage where romance and intimacy are not on the agenda. Her own first though was matters were her fault, then after being full briefed realized that my actions were symptoms, not just me being selfish, totally wrapped up in myself, wanting to be alone, and when approached being dismissive, surly, angry or resentful.

She stuck by me, and no there was no intimacy. When you think about it many people need the right relationship, one where they feel cherished, can rely upon their partner who can be a comfort, and generally feel secure for intimacy. I'm not sure of the details of your relationship , but if like mine then not having the reassurance of intimacy at the moment may simply be the unfortunate result of your condition.

Do you think I might be on the right track?

My wife had support, not only her GP but more importantly her mum, who helped in practical matters with the family, and gave her ongoing care and a person to talk frankly with. It made a huge difference for her. May I ask if your wife has something similar? Trying to cope with a person with the usual symptoms on one's own is horribly hard.

I did try, I knew perfectly well I was terrible to live with, and when I was calmer did give tokens of appreciation, even if only an unasked for cuppa.

Over time with meds and therapy I returned to being able to offer my partner the things she knew from before, became reliable, supportive and fun. It worked out OK due to the tenacity and strength of my wife whom I owed a huge debt.

Is this any help?

Croix