FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First post

spudgun2930
Community Member

Hi,

nice to meet you all, I hope all is well. I decided to join here to contribute helping others and hopefully gain insight and discuss what I can about myself with you. I'm not here for anybody to pity or feel sorry for me, I joined to get some different views on how I can go about tackling my problems and how I can start being a positive person.

I'm currently in my early twenties and have seen psychologists since I was about 8 years old, when I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. Anxiety plays massive part in my life due to the fact it's always influenced my decision making, behavior and health. I've been prescribed many medications but find most have more downsides then upsides and have completely stopped taking medication all together.

Been a few things happen over last few years left me in a hole that I can't seem to climb out of,

Look forward to hearing back

7 Replies 7

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Spudgun, we appreciate you contacting the forums and like you, everyone is trying to find answers on how we can overcome depression of any type we may be suffering from.

Anxiety can change as we grow older, so when you were 8 years old and what now worries could be much more completed than it was when you were young, which is understandable as our life is different.

If you are 25 or under you can contact Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 by phone, webchat or online to discuss these issues you are suffering from, it may be another approach in how to help you.

There are many medications on the market and usually, the doctor will start you off on a low dosage just to gain an impression of whether or not it's helping you but would like to hear back from you, when you're available.

Geoff.

Hey Geoff,

no worries, appreciate having somewhere to talk and share. Couldn't agree more that disorders are ever changing and not one the same as another.

So I started (SSRI) in 2016 and found success with both physical and mental symptoms, however fell sick was hospitalized start of 2017. I wasn't capable of keeping water down let alone the medication, resulting in an abrupt cut off which only added onto the glandular fever I was dealing with. I didn't end up finishing year 12 even though I did decently at school as I was so sick and anxious I would be vomiting or experiencing all sorts of stomach pains and issues when I returned.

Since then I've been prescribed a couple of different SSRI's but have had issues with my health, had to stop taking them for the time being. I had a mental health assessment completed by request of my GP fairly recently, I was prescribed another SSRI but am yet to try it as am still sorting out issues with my heart.

I only take natural remedies and vitamins at moment and keep the sugar and caffeine levels low while trying to exercise for at least a hour a day, anxiety is still there but it's somewhat manageable.

Compared to when I was 14, every day at school I was freezing up around bigger kids that use to give me crap because, as well as vomiting up my brekky and being late to class because I was stuck on the toilet.That really sucked ...

I've had a few girlfriends and gone through some mates since those days, but that's another story

-josh

Way too much info there sorry about that, thought I'd share it as I'm sure there's someone else out there whos going through the same stuff.

Hello Spudgun, it's not about making too much information, because it helps us in a way to assimilate with other people suffering from the problems you have had, so please don't worry.

You've had to cope with all sorts of medical problems, so just a suggestion, are you able to ask your doctor to give you a low dose of the AD's to monitor your anxiety.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Hello spud Im only young and have had stupid amounts of health iusses including what U had and with a chest infection in all onesty I have a chest infection now and swollen airways have dun for a month it keeps coming back onto of this doctors will not help I suffer from Chrone and recurring staff infection thanks to working in a remote community I'm all so trying to homeschool my kid while like this man I feel U I do look to be honest chill out is ok U still here Ur still alive it all good I tell my self this but recently I had a lump turn up on my leg and it hasn't healed I'm getting it looked at in June but to be honest doing it alone with 0 surrport is so scary I worry about my little kids I lost my mother as a toddler I no how hard it is

Alright I'll stop worrying if it can be of some use, I've booked in to doctor to look at the options for AD's. Thanks for understanding

Hey possom

That's no good to hear sorry to hear about your mother, I couldn't imagine what that would have been like. Respect to you for staying positive and being there for your kid through all of that and what you're currently dealing with. had a similar situation a few months ago with strange lump on my neck, turned out to be nothing serious am hoping you're in the same boat. Thanks for the words man appreciate it