FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi fellow humans

Here2Talk
Community Member

Hi all. How are you doing? I have been studying psychology for some years now - in honours (4th year) at the moment. I joined this community actually because I want to help others (hence the username), and then it occurred to me that this is a reciprocal forum, and thus I should share my own story, or something......

I have had terrible generalised (towards everything) and social anxiety since.... well ever since I remember being able to remember really. Small bouts of depression here and there but generalised anxiety mainly and the social anxiety developing around 9 years of age. I have just entered my 30s this year. I have two wonderful children and work full time and still study at uni part time and have various creative projects I am trying to do at the same time as well. ...

Sitting in a coffee shop writing this thinking gee I really should be home studying..

Apart from creative endeavours and my ambitions, I want to help alleviate some of the suffering for others in this world - Lord knows people’s lives are just overflowing with psychological suffering... If this thread finds you, I wish you health and happiness.

9 Replies 9

Chunty
Community Member
Hello and a big welcome to the community. You are such a caring person, wanting to help other people. I was a Mental Health Nurse before I got sick and couldnt work anymore. I always had an interest in this line of nursing and I always have empathy and compassion for patients. I have both physical and mental health issues, yet it it is good to be able to support and help others who are suffering. Believe me I understand the pain and suffering other people are experiencing. Comforting and caring words goes a long way. You will find beautiful, lovely and caring people in the community, and they are all so understanding.Thank you. You are one amazing person. Wish you all the best with your studies. God Bless. Chunty😋🍒

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Here2Talk, thanks for your caring post and know that GAD, as well as social anxiety, are two illnesses that certainly hamper people from moving forward.

Congratulations on doing honours in psychology, a great achievement and you should be very proud of yourself, considering everything else you have to cater for.

We hope to hear more from you on the forums if time permits.

Geoff.

Here2Talk
Community Member

Hi Chunty, thank you for the kind words, you seem like a beautiful soul. There’s something so beautiful and poignant about every body being anonymous here: it fosters (except for certain subjects) a certain sense of acceptance, which many people here don’t get in their lives; it is poignant because there’s all these beautiful souls we won’t ever get to see in person.

Look forward to hearing stuff you say into the future - until then, I wish you health and happiness.

Here2Talk
Community Member

Thanks for the thoughtful words Geoff. Yes it definitely has (and still does) held me back from a lot of things in life. Then again there is a certain evolutionary advantage to all these traits we see in people - for example being prone to overthinking and over sensitive to negative social cues is indispensable for being meticulous and, and promoting social cohesion...

I hope to be able to help people in some small way, and hopefully everyone learns from these interactions...

Chunty
Community Member
Thank you for saying nice things to me. That really lifts my spirits. Although I must admit Ive got a temper. But then we are not all perfect are we? You are right as you can see the people in the community are loving caring people. They are all suffering and have problems, but are yet willing to give support and understanding to others.Yes I agree they are beautiful souls. I dont know if you are religious, Im Catholic and I view their attitude and kindness as almost Christ like. Very giving and unconditional. Im so pleased to have you join us. I think you will be great, as being a Psychologist you will have insight and knowledge and understanding for the sufferings and needs of others. But dont forget, you have to look after yourself as well. Once again I say you are one amazing soul. Take care. God Bless. Chunty😋😻🍒

Chunty
Community Member

Hi Here 2Talk. Great to hear from you. Yes you are so right there are some really beautiful beings in this community. Dont know about you, but I havent found any giving people outside this forum. To me they always have some ulterior motive or some form of gain I tried to give a benefit of a doubt, but I do catch them out eventually. Yes I very surprised to learn how caring and lovely the people in the forum. I must go as I cant concentrate with my carer around. Take care and God Bless. Chunty

Here2Talk
Community Member

Hi Chunty,

I have just finished a rough patch of assignments.... Phew....

I just read your situation regarding your illness. I’m sorry to hear that- I’m sorry if it’s not nice to say sorry - I hate the thought of making people feel worse about life...

I came from I guess Catholics on my paternal side and agnostic on my maternal side. I would describe my parents as probably agnostic maybe atheist.... I had always considered myself an atheist, but recently I’ve thought that it seems like a pretty dumb thing to be sure of what you can never know. I don’t know what label fits but I hold out hope for some kind of meaning, although to confess I have no idea what that even means... I am still afraid of death (although not pathologically for some years now) as is someone in a post I commented on last night... my thoughts on death and religion are probably too complexed and nuanced to be written in 2500 characters haha. Suffice to say that I really hope that there is an afterlife even though I don’t necessarily have an expectation... That would/will be beautiful is there was/is....

The people on here are very caring. I don’t find much ulterior motives- then again I’ve always had social anxiety so I’ve rarely found much in people anyway. I have a loving wife who I’ve been with for 15 years, married for nearly 7, and a great mum and dad and my Nanna and a best mate I met at my first uni degree, but other than them I don’t get too close to people... not cause I necessarily think the worst, but rather that life is hard and complex and who has time for heaps of relationships...

One thing about this is that it breaks down social barriers. If we were to all meet in a room it would probably be different - still caring people but it’s different because our bodies really respond physiologically to the presence of people.

So chunty, other than your kitty cat do you have any friends or family to talk to?

Id love to talk about your life journey if you wanted to - no pressure 🙂

Have a lovely day.

Chunty
Community Member
Hi Here 2Talk, I was answering your 19th April post telling you about my adventures with different religions, when it it wiped out from my screen. I was just about to finish when it happened. I will get back to you soon, as im very tired now.Disease is progressing and i get tired easily. You are very interesting person to talk.to. Dont be afraid of death, it is part of life. God Bless. Chunty

Hi Here2Talk,

Welcome to the community. It is wonderful you are here to reach out to others and that you want to help where you can.

Some people here have some very daunting stories and experiences to share. The forum works well I feel as people are caring, understanding, accepting and validate the circumstances others find themselves in.

Every person has a need to be heard at some stage of their lives, to feel their situation is recognised as being real to them.

As a person who is studying psychology, I hope you also make time to recharge your own soul. It must be rewarding and also draining at times to learn how messed up the mind can become.

As a person who has a few mental health issues and has been hospitalised a few times, I am very thankful for those in your profession who try hard to help and assist people.

If you don't mind me asking, if you are feeling overwhelmed, how do you assist yourself to get back into a sense of balance?

Cheers to you from Dools