FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Nervous Newby

yarnartisan
Community Member

Hi this is my first post and its a bit scary, to make the step from living in a world where my anxiety and depression has a stigma attached to one where I'm hoping to feel accepted for what I 'have' because I'm finally realising it's part of who I am. I have an inherited poor serontin uptake, and a variety of crisis through my life , the last few years I've had a lot of work related injuries in a very high stress work environment, which led to me becoming suicidal and being diagnosed with Acute stress disorder. This led to me changing workplaces and various other changes in my life. Lots of Psychological help plus drug increases but eventually getting to a point where I was able to start getting myself on a wellness schedule/ practice whatever that works for me, my GP's and Pshychologist.

I'm currently going through a bad patch and knew I needed time off work to self-care and couldn't get into either of my normal GP's , who know my history and are great. So had to see the doctor available, who was listening but not hearing me,at all. she was was more interested in updating my drug records than reading my actual history even when I refered to it several times. Felt like she was going through the motions and ticking boxes. Luckily I had filled out your K-10 and printed it off to take with me and she took far more notice of that than anything I actually said.

Frustrating as all hell, and made me feel disempowered and like a number not a person. So I decided to take what for me is a huge step and join the forum. I'm hoping here I'll feel safe to talk and not feel as much guilt and weakness and a sense of  failure that feel everywhere in the real world.

Dont know how much sense this is making or whether it's the right way to introduce myself but I do know it's hard type when your hands are shaking.

3 Replies 3

tigers
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Gday mate

Well done I also took the first step last week,best thing I have ever done for myself and my family.

Take time and read through the posts it helps.

take care

richard

pipsy
Community Member

Hello yarnartisan.  What a mouthful.  I think you've done extremely well posting here.  So sorry about the experience with the 'locum', I presume you saw.  Sometimes 'locum's are better than our own G.P's, however, not in your case.  I think you should take the K-10 and make a definite appointment to see your own G.P.  Maybe if you stressed how important it is to see your G.P, you might have better luck. Here at the forum, we can help, but you do need to see your G.P a.s.a.p.  Your meds need to be monitored.  Obviously you're stressed and frustrated, this is where your own G.P needs to be made aware, so he/she can help you.  Meds do help, so does an understanding G.P.  You may have to keep making appointments until you can see your G.P.  I understand how annoying and frustrating this can be.  When you speak to the receptionist, try and keep calm.  Maybe through your G.P you may be able to see a counsellor, your G.P can recommend this, if he/she thinks it necessary.  BB is also great.

Keep us posted.  Best wishes.

Many thanks for your reply, it's nice to be recognised .

Take care of you.