FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

looking for some direction

Scampa
Community Member

Hi , all , lve been a member for a while now but decided to reach out for some help , not sure exactly what to say or where to start but I can no longer stand the pain Im in or function as I would normally like . my mental health is suffering badly as is my marriage , work , drug and alcohol abuse , , Ive booked in to see a doctor tomorrow to discuss counseling options in my area and really just needed to release the thoughts of this from my headspace , Thanks 

9 Replies 9

Sophie_M
Hi Scampa, 

Welcome to our friendly online community. We are so grateful that you decided to reach out here today as we know it can be really tough to do this for the first time. It’s a great step to have taken, and we’ll be here for you on this journey.  

It is a great step to have booked an appointment with your GP. It sounds like it would be really good to discuss this with are our friends at Counselling Online, who have some really good resources on Making a Change, here. There’s also the Beyond Blue helpline on 1300 22 4636, or on webchat if you’d prefer to speak to counsellor there. Our kind and understanding counsellors can talk this through with you and help you to figure out how you can get some support with your substance abuse.  This is a judgment-free space, so please feel free to share, knowing that you'll be met with understanding. Hopefully a few of our welcoming community members will pop by soon to welcome you and offer some words of support and advice. 

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Scampa, welcome to the forums. 

It's great you're taking LOTS of first steps, that's impressive! Well done you! 

Best wishes for your GP appt tomorrow. Counselling can be SO GOOD to help guide us in a safe space with a trained professional. Kind of like BB but we're a caring bunch who try to give you AIR. 
I hope you get a great Counsellor. 

You mentioned quite a few areas that are causing quite alot of suffering for you right now. 
The build up of these things can be a very stressful thing to deal with. 
Being KIND to YOURSELF is my best offer for you at the moment. 

You're doing the BEST thing by seeing your GP to get things rolling. 
You mentioned some substance abuse and it's awesome you're seeing this is an issue right now. 
Your GP will have great suggestions for you I'm sure. 

We're ALWAYS here for you. 
The Helplines are open 24/7, please use them whenever you feel overwhelmed or confused or need a shoulder. They're there for you too. 

Nice to meet you. You're doing great! 

EM

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Scampa,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I think it’s great that you have booked an appointment with your gp.

I understand that substance abuse is hard to deal with but there are ways that you can learn to manage this.

You’ve taken a great step in moving forward by reaching out and making an appointment with your gp.

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Scampa,

Welcome to the forums, we're always here if you need someone to talk to or a place to release more stressful thoughts. 

You're not alone in how you feel. Maintaining a healthy mental wellbeing as well as balancing marriage and work is no easy feat. Recognising that you are struggling and reaching out to your doctor is a brave and important first step. I hope that you can find the support that you need with a counsellor and here on the forums. 

Feel free to keep us updated!
Beeee

Scampa
Community Member

Hi , thank you all for the support , doc app was a little testing , breaking down crying and actually admitting to the demons , should I continue to post this here or on another thread as to progress as I would like to talk it out as I go ? 

Again thanks

Hello Scampa,

Well done for getting to the doctor and taking the meaningful step of opening up about what's going on for you. I know this can be really emotional conversation but such a big step towards getting better. Did they suggest next steps for you? 

I think if you want to talk as you go, you should use this space for sure, keep us updated as you go and if you have any challenges or questions along the way we're here to support you.

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Scampa,

I'm so sorry for your challenge, but it's good to know that you're seeing a doctor. Very right action!

If you feel comfortable, please share your story here. So that we can give our advice or share our experience.

Hope everything will be fine.

Mark

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Scampa,

I think it’s great that you where able to open up to your doctor.

Was your doctor helpful with on going support?

Please feel free to add to your thread here 😊

We are listening 

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Scampa, thank you for reaching out to us.

It's now a few days since your doctor's appointment and would like to know how it went and please have no fear in opening up to us as we have been through similar circumstances.

When you are having problems with your marriage it can also affect your work, or vice-versa may be your situation, it doesn't matter because what we try and do is use other measures to try and make us feel better, and in essence, it may temporarily numb our feelings, but using too much can worsen the situation.

Your doctor can prescribe medication to stop the urge for alcohol and/or drugs, but this will only work if you can get the assistance you require from a counsellor, simply because you can't take this medication if you don't have the support you need.

First you need to know which one of these is causing the problem or perhaps both are the same, that's for you to decide and there are ways to help you with this, but hope you can get back to us so we can continue.

My best.

Geoff.

Life Member.