FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lived Experience

Daps
Community Member

Hello all

Daps here. I've just signed up as a volunteer and I am looking forward to contribute to and help all those people who have been through rough times with their illness, or even with maintaining their health. I've climbed out of the downward pressure of having a mental illness, and have made a success of my life through hard work, perseverance, whilst utilising my lived experience as motivation.

I've recently completed my Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs, and I am still moving forward with further studies.

I hope to bring experience and some wisdom and insights to the table with my education and experience during lifelong recovery, education and hard work. I believe all of us have the spirit within us to succeed, and for those who have lived experience and survived intact still need peer support in times of need.

Check back for future insights.

Daps.

9 Replies 9

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, Daps, welcome

Thankyou for your kindness. We have a huge library here on the search bar so by all means use it if you need to.

Enjoy the site and I'll see you around.

TonyWK

Thanks WK

It should be a great experience helping out.

Daps

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello Daps , I, too welcome you to the forums.

You are very kind to offer your experience to help others.

I have found that I learn so much reading and listening to other posts.

Again thanks for joining.

Daps
Community Member

Quirkywords,

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to contributing and helping wherever I can. Volunteering is a great idea.

Daps

Daps
Community Member

It's after midnight down here in SA. Working hard still.

There is one thing about lived experience that is extremely positive. it provides one with experience of the sector which can be utilised if you have the inclination to work.

Survival brings strength. If one wants to heal themselves, commitment to study and hard work is extremely important and effective. You can pick yourself up off the ground if you put in 100% effort. I am speaking from experience. I have a successful life now which is more than I dreamed of when I was younger.

Although I still suffer, perseverance pays off. Especially in the long term.

Daps

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Daps, and welcome to the site.

I'm sure your qualifications in Alcohol and Other Drugs will be of great value to the forums and assist many people.

'Survival does bring strength', but to survive we may need ongoing support, encouragement and communication to be able to move ahead because taking it for granted won't achieve any of this, there are hurdles we need to jump and we have to be taught how to do any of this.

Really pleased you have joined us.

Geoff.

Daps
Community Member

Morning Geoff

I agree 100%. Some people may need more encouragement than others. The concept of education and employment may not be achievable for all, but I believe putting in as much effort as one is capable of is essential to recovery. This should always be accompanied by understanding and support, like you said.

I see myself as walking proof that success is possible in the face of adversity and conflict, and that I would not have achieved anything without the support of my family and the doctors and counsellors who have helped guide me towards recovery.

It was support, encouragement and communication that made my current achievements possible.

Daps

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Daps,
I agree with Geoff and you about people needing support, encouragement and communication but for some people they will find it hard to achieve all three or may find it difficult to receive much of one of those things. They may have communication and encouragement but not support.

I think our path to getting well is a different journey for everyone and what works for one person may not work for another. Some of us may be on the journey for a long time.

I am so glad you are willing to help others and share your experience. Thanks for your feedback and engaging in conversation. You have given me much to think about.

Daps
Community Member

Quirkywords,

I think one of the most important parts of receiving help is the ability to use this help to help the self. Without the self, the help will be ineffective. I believe in priorities - to try and build oneself rather than being defeatist. Lived experience can increase the pressure to stay intact, but with motivation and effort, and of course surrounding one's self with the right people, can be a recipe for a successful and productive life.

Daps