FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

introduction

idontknowwhattomakemyname
Community Member

hello, I am new here and I don't know where else I should be posting this

I just started uni and I feel like I was going really well for the first two weeks and getting everything done, but now I feel so overwhelmed and tired and like I can't focus or concentrate on my work, in my lectures I can't pay attention for more than 10 minutes and I feel like I can't read any more then a few pages of my textbook without feeling overwhelmed or exhausted. I've been sleeping for 9-11+ hours every night but I still just feel so fatigued and unmotivated all the time, I feel like I have no interest in my course or life at all. I know I'm a smart person and the work isn't that hard but it just feels so impossible to do and like it just keeps adding up. yet I feel so invalidated because I always hear that every single uni student is going through the same thing and so guilty that I can't just do my work because its not that hard. I guess I am looking for some advice on what to do, because I enjoy learning and doing something with my life and I want to get a degree of some sort but I genuinely feel like everything is too much at the moment. sorry for the length of my 'introduction'! thanks 🙂

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hey idon'tknowwhattomakemyname,
    Welcome to our friendly online community, we are so glad you decided to join us here. We know it can be hard to write the first post, so thank you for having the courage. Please know that you've come to a safe, non-judgemental space to talk things through and our community is here to offer as much support, advice and conversation as you need. We are sorry to hear how hard things have been for you since starting uni. Starting anything new can be overwhelming at first and a huge life change like beginning university is a lot to adjust to. Try not to discount the experiences you are having at the moment just because other people are also struggling. What is going on for you is very real. Even if two people are ding the same course and on the outset, seem to have a similar lifestyle, there are so many more factors involved in determining that persons experience. If you would like some help finding mental health support, we would recommend that you get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals. It might also be helpful to just start off by a chat through some of the feelings you are having around uni.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there! Welcome.

I am a uni student too and I understand how you feel. First-year is tough, and University is a whole new way of academic life. However - once you adjust and begin to learn how it all works, it does get easier. Adjusting to anything new is hard and that is totally valid. So do not feel bad about how you are feeling, it is normal, and just because you think everyone else is feeling that way, does not make your feelings any less valid.

If you need help, reach out to BeyondBlue as Sophie suggested, or to a friend or family member. If you feel your mental health isn't 100%, get in touch with your GP. Adjustment anxiety is normal and I have experienced it too.

I hope things get easier.

Jaz.

Positive_vibes89
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear idon'tknowwhattomakemyname,

Congratulations on your achievement in starting university. University education can be a tough transition from highschool or if you are just starting out as a mature aged student. Keep in mind that we all have different ways of learning and learn at different speeds. So please do not feel the need to compare yourself with others. I am also a university student, I understand how it all can feel so overwhelming. Many universities have support services available to students who need some extra help with their studies. It might be beneficial for you to consider taking up some of those services. What aspects of your studies do you find overwhelming? Is it the workload? The content? Your university will help you, they will want you to enjoy your experience as a student.

If you are feeling fatigue and unmotivated, it might be worth visiting your GP. They may do some tests to check your overall health. One thing I can recommend is a good diet and good hydration. Its important that you take care of yourself whist you are completing your studies.

I hope my advice helps and I would like to know how this all goes for you. If you feel the need to speak to somone please ring the beyond blue help line, they will be more than happy to support you in any way they can.

All the best,

Tiana