FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Reaching out for help for me young adult son

Help_for_my_boy
Community Member
Hi there, I am reaching out to see if anyone has ideas on how I can best help my 18 year old son. He has had mental health issues that have been quite serious for the past 3 months, he is engaging in some treatment, but he is really up and down and I am not sure whether he is taking his medication. It is difficult as I now live in a different state to him and cannot travel to where he is due to current restrictions. I love him to bits and want to help, but I'm not sure how I can best do that. I am also a bit wary of doing things that might make things worse for him. He often doesn't respond to my texts or answer my calls and I am left wondering if it has all become too much for him. Any suggestions would be welcome.
5 Replies 5

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello there,

You sound like a very caring and supportive parent, and that is a great start. It is awesome for him to have support, even if he does not realise that. First, I would help him to find a psychologist if you haven't already done so. He can make an appointment with his GP and attain a mental health care plan and a referral to a psychologist for treatment.

As for his medication, that is a choice he is making - whether to take it or not. You can encourage him to take it, but if he chooses not to that isn't your fault - that is his choice. He knows the consequences of not taking it and how that impacts him.

I think that a simple text telling him how much you love him and that you are always there for him is enough for him to feel that someone is on his side when he is having bad thoughts/feelings. Bombarding him with texts and calls may seem logical, but maybe he just wants some time to breathe. A simple text or call telling him that you care and are always there for him can go a long way.

Is there someone you know in his area that could go and check on him? I

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Apologies, accidentally pressed enter on my previous post before I was done...

Anyway, if you are really concerned about his life you could contact authorities to check on him (as in, if he is suicidal). There is a good page here on how to support someone you are worried about: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/suicide-prevention/worried-about-someone-suicidal/having-a-conversation-with-someone-you%27re-worried-about

There is, also, the BeyondBlue hotline and Lifeline as well.

I hope he starts to feel better soon.

All the best,

Jaz.

mocha delight
Community Member
Hi help for my boy I’ve not been diagnosed with anything officially yet but my psychologist has casually mentioned to me that I have depression (clinical depression), social anxiety and general anxiety and I’ve been seeing my psychologist since September 17th last year and I’ve still been up & down depression wise even though I’m on a antidepressant since the week before covid 19 was first mentioned. I wish I could of be of more yet but as I mentioned I’ve not been diagnosed with anything yet and so I’ve not started any kind of therapy yet.

Thank you Jaz, that is helpful, he has been and obtained a mental health plan and is booked in to see a psychologist but couldn't get an appointment until January. He has indicated he will see a counsellor that we were referred to and that is meant to start next week.

I like your advice about contact and him maybe needing some space to breathe.

I actually called the Beyond Blue hotline last night when a situation arose and that was useful.

Thanks again

I am glad you found the hotline helpful. I hope you start to find some relief soon.