FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Introducing myself and my story

Stormi71
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there. I have lurked on these forums a bit, but have decided to join. 

I suffer with depression and anxiety. I thought it started with postnatal depression when my 16 year old was born, but in hindsight I think I was depressed in my teens, maybe even earlier. I went back on medication about six months ago. I have a supportive husband, but I realise he doesn't really understand what I'm going through. I have two close friends that I've been friends with since high school, but neither live close. I find it hard to make new friends because of my depression and also issues of low self esteem etc from being bullied quite badly for most of high school. 

I have recently decided that I am going to return to study, with the aim of eventually being a mental health support worker. It's like I had an epiphany and I'm so determined to do this. I feel I can offer a lot because I've got "lived experience" and therefore have a better ability to understand and help people. 

So...hi everyone, look forward to getting to know everyone. 

1 Reply 1

HyperDave
Community Member

Hello, welcome!

I relate to a lot of what you have said. I was also bullied- quite badly- in high school, while I was there!

I really hope your self esteem will improve or rather "heal" in time. I also wish you the best finding new friends that live near you, and oh and best wishes with your study! Sounds like study will hopefully be just the right thing for you, gives you a long term goal to help people with problems you relate to, occupies your time constructively, and you will very likely make friends.

Nice to meet you!