FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Injury now in wheelchair and sadness

Alchemy
Community Member

Hi

I had a workplace injury that caused a burst fracture in my spine leaving me with a spinal cord injury, am in constant pain and now can walk a bit but mostely in a wheelchair, my whole life has been turned upside down and still cant make sence of it.

cant get any help really, try so hard to but nothing, had to reasearch and organise my own wheelchair and then was just left with it and told to look on youtube to use it, can never return to my job, feel lost and no one whats to help me, cant sleep, is so hard to do anything if i get up sometimes and think i can walk ok untill i fall to the floor and feel uesless. i try to do what i can through the day but end up just making my back and legs hurt more, i feel guilty that i can not fix things in the house, cut the grass or take out the bins. my wife tries to understand but i know it is hard for her, i belive that she will not come to terms with it, cant find a chair to sit in that is conftable. now my hands are shaking (asked the GP about it but he just changed the subject), life is so much harder now, i was fine meeting people and talking on the phone in my job but now i panic if the phone rings and sometimes just can not bring myself to answer it, no one visits me from work and it is so hard when people ask how long i need to be in the wheelchair just to be told this is it (3 neurosurgens have said the same thing and it will just get worse), i dont know how to live in this new life (i do try my hardest) but sometimes that is not enuf, everything around me seams to be not working out. and lately i can not sit anywhere in the quiet as i can hear voices in my head (thought someone had a radio on and the news was on) what do they want!, sorry for going on and on but life just cant be this hard can it, why am i the one that keeps getting knocked down and before my injury i helped everyone with what ever i could now there is no one to help me. (i am sorry)

5 Replies 5

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Alchemy and warm welcome to our forums

It so pleasing to see you've found your way here to our community. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through. My thoughts are with you as you make your journey into new life. Learning how to manage in a wheel chair must be incredibly difficult and frustrating - along with all the other limitations that it must all so bring with it.

I can see though how you must be grieving - for your past life and for your future. Grieving is a process that - takes time and the phases you go through have no set pattern. These phases are normal and include - anger, helplessness or uselessness, frustration or depression, hurt or feelings of emotional loss, fear.

I'm not sure if you know about Spinal Life Australia. They are an Australian organisation.

There purpose is - To support a life journey approach to assist people with spinal cord damage.

There mission is - To enable solutions to live an accessible, equitable and empowered life.

If and when you feel up to it, you may like to have a look at their website. It can be found at - https://www.spinal.com.au/about/spinal-life-australia/. No pressure Alchemy, only if you want to.

You've made a start by reaching out here. That's really good.

Kind regards

PamelaR

Alchemy
Community Member

Thank you, I have had a responce from spinal life Australia today, I can become a member for just $15 but..... because i am in tasmania all that i will get from this is a newsletter hardcopy sent to me (just so that i can see what help and support others are getting and that i can not)

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Alchemy, and I'm so sorry for what has happened to you and this has certainly made an unpleasant change to how your life evolves and I wonder if you can stay with me even though PamelaR has been a terrific help.

As this happened at work, as you have said, then can I offer a suggestion, that you contact a lawyer and then claim compensation and in Vic. it's with The Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal (VOCAT) and then make a claim through WorkSafe.

All of this has happened to me so I can feel the weight on your shoulders from this devastating incident.

Your doctor or lawyer should be asking for an OT (occupational therapist) to come and do an assessment on you and what needs to be set up at home that will make your life more comfortable.

Would like to hear back from you.

Geoff.

Alchemy
Community Member
thank you for your responce, i have gone through workers comp and had an a few OTs as but they do nothing to help me had to find my own wheelchair, could not even setup someone to put up a safety rail in shower (waited 8 months and had to get it donee myself) OT has been no help whatsoever and last one actualy started yelling and swearing at me on the phone because i sent her a email stating that if i wanted anything else would not be going through her and would approch the insurance company directly, new one said to me (what am i here for i dont know what to do) just want some help and support (even that accident that i was in was not investigated by worksafe or anyone) , no spinal unit here and no rehab was told to work out how to use my wheelchair on youtube am in constant pain and getting worse (3 neurosurgens have told me i will get worse one was even from the insurance company, he was worried about how bad i was) try to get things done and keep living my life but is very hard somedays. will keep trying to get help but i just keep getting knocked back.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Alchemy, I'm sorry that none of this has been helpful, but have you seen a lawyer about all of this.

Another option is to contact your local member of parliament, they maybe able to pursue this issue for you.

Please let me know.

Geoff.