FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi Everyone

john_happy
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I am John and new to this forum. Been feeling really sad lately to see my teenage son going through deep anxiety that he cant sleep at night. I felt I was to strict in my parenting and often blame myself for what has happened to him. I am struggling to forgive myself and this has impacted me mentally. I want to move forward and looking to support others in my journey.

4 Replies 4

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey John, a very warm welcome to the forums. 

The pain we have as parents when our kids go through stuff is horrible, isn't it? 

Rest assured there's HOPE for you and your son! 

My first thought to tell you about was "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families" by Stephen Covey. 
WOW that book is SO powerful! 
Such a catalyst for positive CHANGE in ourselves and our families! 

The Habit I first thought of for YOU guys is "Seek first to understand, THEN be understood". 
This is in relation to our conversations with our child. 
I think you'll LOVE this book! I know you and your son would benefit greatly as we all have here. 
I first read it around 30y ago and have dipped into it over this time. 

The only second tip I want to offer is SELF-CARE and in your case perhaps, RADICAL SELF-CARE. 
Yeah sounds weak lol, I thought so too at the time my Counsellor told me to do it when I was at my wit's end with my children's sadness. 
I DID it, started a Thread over there >>> and kept it up. 
Now these are habits we ALL do in my family and note them to ourselves and each other. 

We're all doing great now. 

Hope to see you around! 
Love EM

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi John,

Thank you for being here and welcome. I am sorry you have been going through this with your son, it must be really hard. Has he sought professional help about this? It is okay to feel responsible, but he is also his own person, and all you can do is shower him with love and support.

I hope this improves soon,

Jaz xx

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello and welcome.

I don't think parenting is ever easy. You try your best and that is all that you can do. That said you also have an opportunity to rebuild the relationship with your son. And I see from your post that you care very much for your son. That counts for something.

Healing heart
Community Member

Hi there,

I remember that there was a parenting group . Did you think about this in your area?