FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Phyciatists

Terry_Jane_1960
Community Member

I went to a psychiatrist and got no comfort once no check ups or anything how am I supposed to get help

6 Replies 6

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Terry_Jane, this must be terribly sad for you and I do feel for you.

People differ on who they prefer, some like psychiatrists while others prefer psychologists, but like you I had no satisfaction with the former and had almost 20 years with the later, (workcover).

I would ask the psychiatrist many questions but never received an answer which was completely different when I wanted a question to be answered with my psychologist.

I would go back to your doctor and ask them for a referral to see a psychologist, which I'm sure they would know of a few.

If you want to let us know what you are struggling with then we might be able to help you further.

Geoff.

Life Member. 

Isabella_
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Terry Jane, 

How are you feeling after what's happened?

First I want to say I'm really sorry about your experience. You've made the hardest leap - asking for help, reaching out for it - to then be disappointed, to receive no comfort or a check up by the professional you've trusted. That really sucks.

After having an experience like this it can be hard to find it in you to trust another professional and that's more than understandable. Frustratingly it seems that hunting for the right psychiatrist/psychologist is part of a long, hard yet necessary process from my experience and the experiences of many. I just hope that you don't lose faith after this experience.

Please always feel welcome to open up here about what you're going through - I hope you can find a safe, trustworthy and welcoming space here to be yourself and share what's on your mind. 

How would you feel to follow Geoff's advice and consider getting a referral for a new professional?

You deserve to see a professional who puts their all into helping you and has genuine investment into your health and journey to recovery. Please don't ever forget that.

I'm here if you need to chat. I hope to hear from you.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi terry_jane,

what happened? you said that you got no comfort.

very curious to know what happened.

listening...

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Terry Jane,

I'm so sorry you've had this experience. I just want to reiterate what Isabella has said, finding the right therapist is unfortunately not the easiest journey.

For me, I saw 3 different psychologists before I found the one that I connected with best. With each experience, you learn a little bit more about yourself and what you need from your therapist and this can help guide you on your search. Perhaps have a think about what exactly it is you want, do a bit of research online and set up a few initial consultations with different people. Therapy is also a collaborative process so don't be afraid to tell you psychiatrist or psychologist what you're looking for.

Best wishes,

Beeee

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Terry_Jane,

I'm so sorry for your challenge, I can tell it's very frustrating.

Do you want to share more details of your story? We're ready to listen and give advice.

All the best.

Mark

Healing heart
Community Member

I know sometimes it does take a while to get the right fit with therapist. Can you put yourself down with another service and try another person? I have done that in the past and it’s worked out.