FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

hi everyone

Donnabalnor
Community Member

its hard on your own most of the time. going into detox in 8 days time not looking forward it but will go went to a group session today mostly men swearing.am I the only one who gets upset and I am expecting the detox will be the same. my problem is booze thanks to a ex partner and life

22 Replies 22

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Donnabalnor

I'm really sorry that you are struggling to overcome alcohol addiction. I grew up with an alcoholic father so truly understand what a powerful and devastating addiction it is.

You are very brave to go into detox and I understand that this must be daunting for you. However, you obviously have strength and a desire to change. You should be really proud of yourself. Try to take one day at a time.

I'm sorry the swearing at your group upset you. Do you think you could discuss this with the detox administrators? You might find that other participants were upset as well and that some conduct ground rules could help everybody.

I wish you every success in the coming weeks.

Kind thoughts to you

Hi my dad had a drink problem but a very kind gentle dad and did not drink when we where around old school ways, going to miss my bulldogs when I am in rehab that's will be the hard part they are my support cannot even take a toy bulldog in with me but I understand the reasons

Hi Donnabalnor

I can understand how hard the separation from your dogs will be. My dog is currently sleeping on my lap, we are so close and I love her to pieces.

Maybe you could plan a special reunion? Something really fun that you would all enjoy. It will give you something to look forward to and another reason to succeed.

Who is going to look after the dogs for you?

Kind thoughts to you

Hi my youngest daughter will stay at my place with her dog and cat a cheap stay for her but who cares told her just feed her dog on my dog food eg top of the range food and take what she wants from the fridge freezer and cupboards I can trust her also my credit card if she needs to take a dog to the vets its great having kids you can trust I can give my daughters my cards and know they will not rip me off

Hi Donnabalnor

What a blessing to have your daughter's support. You are lucky and so are the dogs! You got this.

Kind thoughts to you

Donnabalnor
Community Member
Hi I have completed the first step in the detox programme and it was very great time 7days with great support and kindness, But at home alone and I want a drink. wishing I had some one with me for support but I know its up to me. Playing Uno with people who have been transferred from prison and the local major hospital it was fun and I have not damaged my liver. So if you get the chance do the programme please do it also they have follow up programmes lasting 12 to 20 weeks I did not know until a few weeks ago

Hi Donnabalnor

Thank you so much for letting us know how it went! I am so proud of you and so happy for you. The first steps are often the hardest but you did it. Congratulations. I hope that you can now plan something special to reward yourself because you really deserve it.

I can imagine it's really tough at home alone. Delay, delay, delay. Distract yourself. Send us a post. Whatever it takes to get through.

Kind thoughts to you

thanks for the support I have been told it might take a few visits to stay sober but will do my best

Hi thanks for your reply I am cutting down on drinking just buying the small plastic pouches I a day containing 2 standard drinks and taking the right meds and have set my self extra jobs to do washing up every day and 10mins weeding the garden today walked the dogs and went Christmas shopping with my 3rd daughter as well and will make myself eat better

Thanks for replying

Regards

Donnabalnor