FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Going to work

Myles_F
Community Member

Hello,

I am new and this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to get up to go to work? I find that as soon as my alarm goes off, I get depressed at the thought of going to work so I automatically call in sick. I would like to hear from others with this problem. I really appreciate it.

7 Replies 7

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi and welcome to beyond blue forums.

I would not get depressed per se rather think what stuff do I have to deal with today. Replace stuff with curse words. And it does create a negative start to the day. Which also made me grumpy and short tempered etc

What is it about your work that makes you depressed?

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Welcome to the forum and thanks for starting your thread.

Myles was there a time you liked going to work or have you always felt depressed.

If I had a problem with work I would worryanout it’s and would be reluctant to go but I got help with my problem.

Backtheblue91
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Myles, thanks for taking the first steps in recognising your challenges and having the bravery to post.

In my case, I felt the same and it gradually perpetuated into an everyday thing and I eventually drew the line and made the choice to leave. That choice is a personal one.

In relation to your post though, I had to gradually dedicate each morning to working on myself and detaching myself from the rest of the day for that precious hour or so before work, whether it is yoga, meditation, listening to an uplifting podcast.

Basically, my take on it was whatever I was stressing about was going to happen whether I worried about it or not, and sometimes it turns out to be nothing at all just my mind playing tricks on me.

I'd encourage you to give yourself the time in the morning to focus on yourself, and if you've had a stressful day instead of hitting the bottle (in my case), do the things that make you happy. Ultimately you have to make the choice of what is more important to you, your mental health or your job and it's a complex dilemma to navigate around.

So i don't want to give you advice on what you SHOULD do because everyone's circumstances are different I just wanted to share what worked for me in the interim and let you know you are not alone and this community will support you in whatever capacity it can,

I hope this helps,

Rhys

whether it was listening to an uplifting podcast or doing something I enjoyed in that hour before work, without dwelling on what the day was to bring.

At the very least it put me in the best position to be able to handle the day-to-day stressors of work be it physically, emotionally, psychologically, or otherwise.

Willow Jude
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Myles,

At the moment I definitely find myself dreading going into work so I can understand at least some of what you're feeling. What gets me motivated to go in (rather than taking the day off) and at least try to have an okay day at work is that I don't want to give anyone any reason to doubt that I can do my job. By going in, I prove to myself and others that I am able to overcome challenges and perform to a somewhat decent standard. And yes some days are rough and I feel like going in was a 'waste' and I should have stayed home, but not every day is. If you don't go in, there's no chance for you to have any positive experiences at work or show yourself that you are capable. I worry that if you get comfortable with staying at home instead of going to work, there'll be no motivation for you to start going in, or it could get to a point where you're spoken to by your employer, run out of sick days, etc., and that will only lead to you feeling more negative about your job.

If you feel that those feelings are too strong and you are unable to overcome them and go to work, it might be time to look at changing jobs. Is it any work in general that gets you feeling down, or the particular role you're in at the moment?

Also, if you feel that your work and/or other aspects of your life are being negatively impacted by your mental health, speaking to your GP is a good idea, and they can help you explore options such as professional help, if that is a good fit for you.

-WJ

Split_peas
Community Member
I was the same until I was forced to resign last year after 18 years. I think it’s your bodies way of telling you, you aren’t where you should be. But problem is, it’s a big risk changing jobs. I didn’t deal with it, and the choice got taken out of my hands, which was way worse. And I’m still dealing with it. Good luck

Hi Split peas,

I read you are "still dealing with it".

Do you feel or think you are better compared to last month, last year? I will search the forum in case you have the created a thread for your story. Otherwise welcome to the forum.

Myles,

If you see this... how are you going at the moment?

SleeplessApples
Community Member
Hey Miles F,

I'm new as well and this will be my first post as well. How are you going with your work and your mental health? I hope you're doing okay. I don't really have a solution for your problem but I can say I empathize with your situation. I also end up getting depressed and dreading about working as soon as I wake up. I... don't really have much of a "positive" solution to your problem besides what everyone else have stated here about either changing jobs or trying to meditate or do some mindfulness exercises to try and reorient the way you think and feel about work.

I say positive, in that, despite my depressed brain telling me work sucks, the people there sucks amongst other things, I know I'd be even more depressed if I didn't go to work for the income to even function or pay for the things like rent, food, medication and what not. And even worse if I have to rely on my parents who... aren't really the most supportive individuals.

But nonetheless I do hope you're doing alright and that you're not alone for feeling depressed about work.