FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feel completely overwhelmed

blueguy71
Community Member

Hi all

I have just joined the forums. My short story is: I have been through an immense amount of change in the past few months and and feeling completely overwhelmed, and have developed what I feel is some quite severe depression.

My wife and I made the decision to separate about 8 months ago but it was only two months ago that she moved out. About the time that we decided to separate I had a car accident and the combination of that and the separation led to me deciding to resign from my job where I had been for ten years. Whilst I have been doing some contract work in the past couple of months it hasn’t been the most stable situation and I have been having to work by myself a lot.

I am still living in our family home (where we’ve been for more than ten years) although have sold it and will be moving out in about a month.

Our separation was quite amicable but our three kids are doing it bit tough as well.

I start a new role in a couple of months but am feeling very anxious about it and am not at all confident I will be able to be successful. And am very worried about what I’ll do if that doesn’t work out.

So I have a great deal of time by myself, caught up inside my head, and am having a lot of very negative thoughts. Guilt, lack of self confidence, worry about the future, worry about financial security are all at play. I am noticing many depressive symptoms including low energy, poor sleep, lack of appetite, low motivation, inability to make decisions amongst others.

At times it is all feeling so incredibly overwhelming.

It is good to be able to write all this down and from the little I have seen there are some wonderful supportive people on these forums so thank you for reading and I hope to be able to do what I can to contribute to others’ situations too.

30 Replies 30

Thanks again to you too Birdy. I must say again that i find the generosity of time and spirit of contributors such as yourself, on these forums, inspiring.

It has been interesting to reflect over the last couple of weeks, since I’ve been in a more rational headspace, about the impact of both not being fully employed and of social isolation, on my well being. As a case study of one, it has strongly reinforced for me the research about those factors being strongly related to mental health challenges generally and depression specifically.

I hope to be be able to use my experience for the benefit of others, in some way. Even just as a contributor here.

I am sure that not every minute will be positive moving forward, but I do feel in a far far better position to respond to the lower points if and when they arise.

Thanks again.