FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Can you think too much?

Candy_floss
Community Member
Sometimes I think I think too much, ironic!!???? Does anybody else have this?
6 Replies 6

Durras
Community Member

Hi Candy floss,

As soon as I wake up in the morning, until I try to or finally go to sleep my mind is always thinking, questioning and analysing my whole life, my past, all my mistakes and my future. I'm constantly doubting myself and putting myself down and thinking that I don't deserve happiness. I am married and my husband is the most beautiful man I know but I keep thinking he should have someone better then me, he is too good for me, why does he love me and I have nothing to offer back.

I don't work, I'm constantly feeling down, I have baggage with my daughter and her dad (my ex) and he shouldn't have to put up with all this. Anyway rambling on here but yeah my head is always constant train wreck of thoughts and emotions from past and now. I don't know how to make it stop.

Sorry I couldn't be much help but want you to know your not alone with thinking too much.

Durras

I totally feel the same way constantly thinking about mt whole life past and presant, I feel like i dont laugh or smile just struggling to be happy which is weird because I have a loving family stressful and frustrating but loving, Ive got 4 children, Im struggling to cope and losing my shit over little things, dont know what to do any more hence joining this forum, it helps knowing others are also thinkers!!

I understand what you mean by losing your shit over little things, I feel like screaming, smashing something, running and taking flight or just getting smashed on drinking but I know really none of these help.

Today I feel like I am just floating through the day, haven't done anything, don't have the energy and hating myself for not doing anything. I don't want to watch TV, don't feel like listening to music cause I'm scared that could have one of two effects make me cry or make me want to drink. I do have a strong alcohol dependency but I wasn't getting drunk everyday, I just needed a couple to get me through the day, but yes also in all truth come the weekends I wanted to drink more.

I felt like if I didn't drink I would be a real bore for my husband to be around, I want to be happy and chatty and fun but with out the alcohol I feel dead, boring and never know what to talk about. Anyway I think I went of track somewhere yeah with loosing  my shit so often makes me feel like a failure, I don't know why I loose it but I feel like a hopeless wife and mother for my daughter.

So I tell my husband and daughter everyday I love them and I hope those words can heal any pain I may have given them while loosing my lot.

Durras

Durras, Im sure they know how much you love them. I have trouble being affectionate even with my children, I really need to work on that. Its been lovely talking with you, its made me feel not alone. I hope your day gets better, maybe you could listen to some music it might also make you smile. 

Hi Candy Floss and Durras,

Yes, you can definitely think too much.  I know I do anyway.  I often go to bed at night with everything just churning through my head - past and present stuff.  I sometimes wish I could just tell my stupid brain to shut the heck up and give me a break.  Although of course that wouldnt be a very good outcome really, would it?

I believe when we think too much it becomes very self limiting and it prevents us from living for the day and getting things done.  For me nighttime is the worst.  During the day, I am quite regimented in how I do things. But there again I am OCD, so thats probably to be expected.  I keep a diary of all the things I want to get done for the day, and tick them off as I do them.  I find it gives me a sense of achievement and I can look back and actually see what I have done for the day.  This may help you too?

Same as you two, I also tend to lose it over the small things.  Manage to get through the big stuff, but in the end it is the silly little niggly things that sent me over the top.  I think (there I go again!) anxiety just builds up until it peaks and then it just takes the littlest thing to boil over.

Stay away from the alcohol as much as you can though.  Major trap.  Gives us a false sense of bravado, and just makes things worse in the long run.  Been there, done that.   ( :

You are never alone when you have the BB community here with you.  Sorry for butting in on your thread, please continue chatting.  I hope both of your days improve.  And if I dont see you again before Christmas, I hope you have a lovely Christmas with your families, and suffer the least stress possible.

Thinking of you both,

Sherie xx

Hi Sherie,

Wanting to say thank you for your reply,

Most of the time I head is like a runaway train out of control and giving me so many negative thoughts and feelings arising from them I want to scream and tell it to shut up and I keep telling myself to snap out of it but no that doesn't work.

I will try to set myself little daily tasks such as make a list, strange thou I suggest this to others to help feel accomplishment but I can never mange it myself as I don't know where the starting point is but I know it is a crucial part to our recovery in feeling normal and giving some sense of achievement.

I haven't had a drink for a week but woke this morning feeling like having one just to give me a lift as I had enough of all this crap going on in my head, I want to ease it, make it stop and go away and that has always been my way but I know your right it is a trap and will make it worse. I just want to feel normal. This is especially to after I have spilt my difficulties onto my daughter with little things triggering me I want to have a drink or when I haven't heard back from job applications or being let down from one. I feel so useless and hopless.

Anyway I wanted to say thank you for your response and all I'm doing is rambling on.

Wishing you a wonderful Xmas and look forward to keeping in touch.

Durras