FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Artist within

JH91
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Having never enjoyed being told what to do at school like most of us, I didn’t care too much about my results or what I wanted to be when it all finished. School was fun though, my fondest memories when I’m old will be of the funny times and friendships made. But it ends really really quickly then suddenly you’re a 17-18 year old thats been catapulted into the ‘real’ world after 13 years or however long it is of being nurtured in schooling systems. A good majority of us move away as soon as possible and pursue a further education in University, Tafe etc. Others stay in their respective home towns with good friends and enjoy the simple life, surfing, drinking, working casual or part-time jobs they don’t mind all that much to earn just enough to get by. I’m sure there are others though that end up like me, having always been a creative human just never having an outlet to express it through I found myself in a rut as soon as the final HSC paper was handed in. After enjoying a year of freedom during my first year out of school I suddenly fell into this dark hole that spiralled quickly, being told I had depression leading to the doctors putting me on anti-depressants which only made matters worse. I spent a long period of time hating myself, the world, despised the thought of life, endless nights without sleep and only agitating myself more because I knew I had nothing to be sad about. My family treated me with the utmost love, provided me with food and a beautiful home to sleep in as well as friends that I would’nt trade in for anything. Nothing made me happy though full stop, I had bled too many tears of sadness, would’nt go outside, I’d just sit there on repeat for however long it was during this black period of my young life.

This was until I discovered the beautiful thing called photography, having taught myself how to create art in both digital and analogue formats I have built up a following of over 25 000 followers across my social media platforms. Travelled both overseas and domestically across Australia, worked with people I never imagined being in the same room let alone collaborating together, help solo and joint exhibitions.

Only a week ago I slipped over on a rock and broke my camera and new lens completely, I have applied for a sponsorship with Canon as I can't possibly afford a new set up when I have been saving to go overseas for the next 3 months. Fingers crossed something magical happens because everything happens for a reason. 🙂

2 Replies 2

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Well done JH91!  

You have done remarkably well and should be proud of yourself.  I love looking at good photography, but not much good at it myself. You have gone through a lot and appear to have found the light at the end of the tunnel.

Happy to hear more about your work and how you progress.

Here is hoping you get your camera replaced 🙂

K

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi JH91,

Thanks for a lovely post. I too enjoy photography and would love to be able to travel around to take more photos.

I also enjoy borrowing books from the library that contain photos. Some people are so very talented and happen to be in the right place at the right time.

I also like to dabble with paints. My art work is like that of a child, but I enjoy the process and find it to be very relaxing and helps with my depression and stress.

All the best to you and I hope a new camera comes your way.

Cheers, from Mrs. Dools