FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anyone else have same sensations?

Tim1982
Community Member

Hi all,

Last 3 to 4 weeks has been a rollercoaster for me. I'm hoping I'm not alone on this.

It all started after my ears blocked up from wearing airpods, or at least I assume that is the cause.

My ears got better, but I became impatient and stuck a cotton tip in my ear and felt like I pushed wax back in and got a sudden ringing in my ear. Sometimes I think I hear it in my other ear also. One side of my face felt numb and also that side of my head.

I went to the emergency and they said they couldn't see my ear drum but I had a lot of wax in it. They checked the nerves in my mouth, eyes and ears and all was fine. They told me the sensation feelings where normal.

I saw a doctor a few days later and they told me it was normal also and prescribed me antibacterial drops incase of infection for 7 seven days.

I moved to Adelaide in the meantime, and decided to see another doctor who syringed my ear and said I had a pimple and scratch in my ear and give it time for the ringing to go. He also said the numbness feeling in my head was normal.

Since the ringing, I feel like I'm coming down with all these symptoms and I'm constantly thinking or stressing over it. Sometimes, I feel like my head feels normal but then it goes back to how it was slightly numb or I get a what feels like tension.

I googled my symptoms and the worse results came back which put me in panic mode. Saw another doctor and they said I had fluid behind my ear drum and it could take up to 6/8 weeks to go away.

I Explained everything else and she said it's cause of anxiety/stress, which I have a history of but Ive never felt some of these symptoms before.

- tight jaw - tight nose - eyes feel funny - sometimes I get aches in legs and one arm - head gets tight - but mostly I have this slight numbness feeling on one side of my head. Most of these come and go but has anyone ever had a tension or numbness feeling in one side of the head? Sometimes it feels like it's always there and then for moments it feels like it is gone.

The doctor has told me it's nothing serious and if she believed it was, she would do the tests but believes it's normal and all signs of stress and anxiety.

She has put me on anti depressants and set up a mental health plan.

Just want to know if anything else gets funny head sensations. My thoughts keep going back to my head all the time.

11 Replies 11

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Tim1982,

Googling symptoms in order to find out anything specifically about your own health concerns is notoriously unreliable. Google cannot replace doctors & their examinations of their patients.

& by the way, do you limit how loud the music you are playing directly into your ears? There may be a setting which will limit the volume so you won't damage your ears with excessively loud volumes when using earphones air pods, etc.

In this instance, I don't think it would be at all helpful to tell you what I may or may not have experienced with my hearing or head.

Whatever else may be going on, addressing any stress & anxiety can only of benefit - to all of us. 😺

mmMekitty

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Tim, having OCD can particularly make it difficult to try and unblock your ear as I've recently had both, although I've had OCD for years, but it will give you the sensation you have described.

As mmMekitty has said we're always told not to use cotton buds to try and unblock your ear but use baby oil which will loosen the wax to be flushed out and if this can't be done then an audiologist will have to pull it out, as happened with me.

If you have a blocked ear it alters your normal senses and can affect how you feel because you aren't used to feeling like this.

Book an appointment with an audiologist to have the wax extracted then the fluid may be able to escape much quicker.

Geoff.