FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Wife don't want to see a phychatrist

Anu18
Community Member

My wife is not well and had panic attacks under stress, whenever she is in public she gets over excited and is in alert mode and suspicious of strangers. She talks illogical things all the time which do not make any sense. Under pressure or stress she loses her thought process and talks wierd things.

GP referred her to phychatrist but she don't want to go, even her family has asked her to go as they have also seen her changing. She becomes aggressive and once injured her as well when I ask her to visit phychatrist.

I don't know what to do as she is not willing to visit phychatrist and I can't live like this.

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hi Anu18,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story with us here.

We are sorry to hear that things have been so difficult for both your wife and yourself recently. We understand this can be such a hard time for everyone involved, so we just want to remind you that you never have to go through this alone, and support is always here for you.

If you would like to talk to someone, the Beyond Blue Support Service is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

We would recommend that you get in touch with an organisation called Relationships Australia on 1300 364 277 who provide relationship support services for individuals, families and communities.

We hope that you will find some comfort here on the forums.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Anu, thanks for coming to the site because it's not easy to try and get your wife to see someone and when a psychiatrist is mentioned, it can frighten those who specifically need it for reasons they have instilled into their mind.

There could be a couple of options for you to consider, does she have a close girlfriend who is visiting a psychologist who may be able to sway her towards visiting or going with her in a session, another alternative is for her to be admitted into hospital where she may not know who the person is who is talking to her, this can be introduced slowly to her and when realised they may have outpatient appointments.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi,

Does she trust the gp and like them?

Sometimes gps refer to psychs and it's helpful but sometimes it's not the ruhht fit..,she has a right right choose who she wants to ee and when she 8s ready. U can't force it.

Maybe she would prefer to see a counsellor, mh nurse, social worker, life couch, awho knows, or choose someone herself who she likes.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Maybe u can lead the way by going to a professional urself ...