FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

The Dreaded Drug Decision

Mbuna
Community Member

Hi Guys,

I am tossing up the medication option at the moment as a treatment for my anxiety. I have always suffered from anxiety for as long as I cant remember. When I was younger, it was only mild. A few years ago my business lost a large contract and I had to put staff off who had worked for the company for many years. It really affected me and the anxiety got out of hand. The panic attacks turned into depression and for a while I was in a really bad place. I started behaving badly and taking all sorts of risks. Luckily an incident with a family member made me realize that i needed to get help. It took me a while to get over it all, but with the help of a psychologist and some other nice people who also suffered similar experiences, I was able to pull myself out of the depression hole. Now the depression has gone I am left with the anxiety again. Its not always there but it has a knack of popping up at the most inappropriate times. The normal stuff like exercise and diet helps but i never know when the anxiety will come back so i find myself avoiding situations that may trigger it. I run my own business and I often put off making decisions. Up until now I have resisted the drug option. I'm not a big fan of putting foreign substances into my body.

My doctor has given me a prescription for a SSRI. Now I have another decision to make that i will probably put off. I have read some of the side affects of the drug and they scare me. Some people tell me that the drug is fantastic. Others are not so complimentary about the medication. I want to get rid of the horrible feelings I get but I must admit the thought of medicating myself to do this scares the hell out of me. I thought I would throw it out there and get other peoples thoughts. The doctor has told me that

my anxiety is low to mid range so the drugs should help me. He has also told me that I may not experience any side affects at all. He cant guarantee this however.

Can anyone help me with my dilemma?

4 Replies 4

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mbuna,

Another way of looking at it might be: do you ever take paracetemol when you have a headache or a cold?  If you had a heart condition and were prescribed statins, would you feel anxious about taking them?

All medication, regardless of what it's prescribed for, can come with side effects.  Sometimes reading online about drug side effects can be misleading because, for safety purposes, drug companies are required to report any instance of a side effect, regardless of whether one person or a hundred people have experienced it. This is why the lists can be very long, and very daunting to read.

Often if you're going to experience side effects they will crop up in the first few days while your body is adjusting to the medication.  You could consider starting the medication over a weekend, or perhaps take a few days off work just in case you experience anything unpleasant.  Keep a line of communication open with the doctor as well, because if in the event this does happen there will be other options you can try.

What have others experienced?

best
CB

Mbuna
Community Member

Hey CB

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't like to take panadol unless i really have to. I don't think I would blink an eyelid to take medication for heart condition though so I do see your point. My problem is that i can go for weeks and feel good then I have a week or two where the anxiety comes back. Sometimes it only lasts for a few hours at a time. When i feel like crap I decide im going to try the medication because i am over the anguish. Then I come good and decide, I can do this without the drugs. Some people have posted on here referring to this as a yo-yo type affect. Maybe the medication will help level the yo-yo but  I hear a lot of people who say the medication does not work either. I know I am being paranoid and am just looking for excuses not to take the meds. I have decided to start exercising a bit more. I have booked into boxcercise classes and have started swimming and walking again. I have also been to a nutritionist to alter my diet (I dont eat well) Hopefully this works. If it doesn't then I am going to give the medication a go. Thanks for your feedback. Its much appreciated

Cheers

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Mbuna, I am sorry about the loss of this big contract, because I've been there as well, and it's heart breaking.

I understand your reluctance in taking medication, but what you read about the side effects may not happen to you, and you could start on a very low dosage just so you get comfortable with it. Geoff.

Mbuna
Community Member

Thanks Geoff

I think the drugs will help. I am going to give the healthy lifestyle thing one more go. I am overweight at the moment so even if it does not work for the anxiety I am sure its not going to hurt me either.

Cheers