FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety & Depression: On SNRi's-if not walking every day meds cant work properly ?.....!

Beetle
Community Member

HI all

I am looking forward to your expereinces and ideas please.

I have MDD and GAD and was diagnosed 5 weeks ago after having suffered in silence for years.I was too emberassed to see a GP.

I had/have panic attacks, and suicidal thoughts with substance abuse and self harm.

Now im on SNRI's which  kicked in nicely. However i have to say i aso have walked every day 5 km along beach sinmce diagnosed since i love that.

Now over the WE i visited frinds and didnt do my 5 K walk a day and felt the 'beasts' depression and anxiety creepig up.I got restless, had suicidal thoughts and paranoid thoughts. I got them under control after a while but it did very much concern me,

Has anyone expereinced the same effect? I mean not doing exercise while on SNIR's and feeling blue and anxious because of it?s it possible that the meds cant work properly if i dont do exercise???

Today i felt off as well and once home i went straight to the beach for my walk, even though it was raining!!

I was so concerned that the beast might come back!! :0    Now i feel better and not blue or anxious anymore...... So glad

I am really interested about your opintion and experiences

Beetle

4 Replies 4

MaryG
Community Member

Hi Beetle,

I have been taking SNRIs for just over a month now and the effects weren't quite so immediate for me. I believe they are working now and my anxiety levels are definitely reduced. The depression is also not as bad and I would say I am just starting to have more good days than bad. It is hard to know if it is just the drugs though. I have also stopped drinking alcohol completely and although I have always done a lot of exercise I have changed my routine a little and do a lot more intense strength and cross training type stuff now. My body is fitter and healthier than it has been for a while, so is that a factor in my state of mind? I would say so. If I miss a training session I don't feel as good and my routine is messed up. I am probably a little obsessive about it atm and it's possibly a replacement for my other addictions that I have given up. There is a bit of a gap in my day without the exercise and I want to fill it with something that makes me feel good. If I can't then my mood drops and my unhelpful thoughts that are always lurking in the shadows take the opportunity and jump right in. I imagine it might be similar for you.

I have also been having weekly sessions with a psychologist and I've been working through quite a number of deeply suppressed feelings that I realise have been with me for a very long time. All of these things are moving me forwards and I think it would be unlikely to think that the drugs alone can do the complete job. 

Sounds nice to walk along the beach. 

Mary

Beetle
Community Member

HI MaryG

Thanks for your lovely post 🙂

Yes I agree with you that meds alone would't do the job. But thanks to them I am at least able to analyse how i feel and what does me good and what drags me down.The drugs seem to work like a "protective shield" givining me the oportunity to refelct on my behaviour. I also have reduced my alcohol intake and try to give my body what it wants: if im hungry i eat , im sleepy i sleep and if im edgy i try to walk. certainly it doesnt work at work, but at other times i try to stick to a routine.having my own space and the ability to retreat if needed is also so important. maybe thats why didnt feel well at my friends place, because I was outsided my 'secure nest'.I also see a psychologist to help sort out my feelings which are often still very confusing and contradictive. But in general i feel good. its so complex Maey-i feel like an explorere in my own body/ brain!!

Good vibes your way

take careBeetle

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Beetle, firstly can I say that MaryG has achieved a mammoth effort being able to stop her drinking, I know how hard it has been for her, but I am so proud of her to be able to do this.

Beetle, I have been taking aSNRI for a long time and now on the max. dosage, but it took a long time for it to even begin to work for me, but it has now.

Being away from home and crashing because of this could be PTSD, but I also wonder whether or not you suffer from OCD, and I only say this because 'you need to walk along the beach', just saying. Geoff.

Beetle
Community Member

HI Goeff

Thanks for your post. As always your answers are so helpful 🙂

I agree that it must have been hard to stop drinking for Mary G-Well done-Whoohoh!!I also wondered if i have PTSD. nonone said i got it. I havent really read up about it since the trauma I had were such a l,ong time ago. My father sexually abused me when I was eight and off course i got the occasional beating. i got no emotional affection from both of my parents. I wasnt aware how a hug feels or a "i love you" or just those little touches partents give their kids. But i think my parents were the "no touchy feely' generation......for me this all is still normal. I still think my childhood was sort of normal, even though i slowly realise it wasnt.....years later i got knocked down on the street in the middle of the day by a stranger, thats when the panic started, the drinking and the self harm. At the same time i wasin an emotional abuse realtionship. that broke up years later when i completly fell apart and had some problems with alcohol and pills.So yes i dont know, PTSD is only for war veterans or people suffering torturing , isntr it? not sure....OCD? well I dont know, i thought about it. I guess at times i am a bit set in my ways. But i dont feel like having to repeat things and i dont freak out if i havent done a certain task. But 10 years ago i was suffering from anorexia nervosa,which came on after my realtion ship breakup and the loss of all my savings and our house. So i can see that i used the 'not eating' as a tool to have some control in my life......

Beetle