FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Starting SSRI 's again and waking early / nauseous / diarrhoea

Mumoftwoboys
Community Member

I'm into my third week of taking ssri's again, and I didn't experience these before.

Waking at 5am, and the anxiety and nausea, and unable to get back to sleep. Has anyone that has experienced this know how to deal with this?

I'm have no energy and everyday is a struggle to function which is very hard being at home with two young boys..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Hope_for_the_best
Community Member

Usually, you feel progressively better within two weeks of taking SSRI. If it is already the third week and you are still not feeling well, you may need to try different medication or have your dosage adjusted. Please discuss with your GP.

Get well soon.

Blue_Jane
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there

Welcome to our forums. Sorry to hear that things are tough at the moment.

I have not had this experience and agree with Hope for the best to check back in with your GP.

Depending on when you can get to the GP, can you try to get out with the boys in the morning for a walk? Exercise helps with the energy and fresh air helps with the nausea. Plus the morning sun does something to our melatonin levels and resets our body - good for when low on sleep. Diet sometimes helps too, such as healthy fresh fruit and veg.

Looking forward to hearing how things go.

Blue Jane

Ladyhawke
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Yes, I've had similar issues with SSRIs - nausea/dizziness/headshocks/overstimulation, etc. After many trials, I'm now on an SSRI which works very well, with no side effects, as long as I remember to have it after a meal.

You're into your third week now, and I agree with HFTB and Blue Jean - it may be wise to have the meds reviewed by your doctor. There are many SSRIs - I think I trialled four or five before finding the one that suited me.

Hope all goes well. LH

Mumoftwoboys
Community Member

Thank you All for your replies and support.

I have a follow up appointment with my GP later this week regarding a referral for some CBT.

I am starting to feel slightly better, although still waking early. Its just so strange as I have been on the same SSRI previously (only stopped in April this year - silly me thought I was doing better) and never experienced these symptoms before.

I think I just need to stick it out as I know once they kick in fully, they work!

Thanks again.