Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

Caity16 GP no help
  • replies: 3

Hi, Has anyone been to the GP and not gotten any help? I got to a point where I needed help. I couldn't get into my regularly doctors surgery for 5 days. I couldn't wait and so made an appointment somewhere else. I told the new dr i couldn't wait 5 d... View more

Hi, Has anyone been to the GP and not gotten any help? I got to a point where I needed help. I couldn't get into my regularly doctors surgery for 5 days. I couldn't wait and so made an appointment somewhere else. I told the new dr i couldn't wait 5 days and that's why I came to him. The dr told me he wouldn't want to do anything as he felt they would be stepping on toes, unless I was going to go regularly to their practice. this is the first time I have been to a dr about depression. Is this normal or did I just get a bad doctor? I'm worried about going to another dr.

Loula Done with bipolar medication
  • replies: 6

Done with bipolar medication I've been really trying hard to keep my bipolar at bay. I became really sick late this year on a holiday and my bipolar and anxiety had me acting out. I did crazy out there stuff and had anger depression tantrums. I actua... View more

Done with bipolar medication I've been really trying hard to keep my bipolar at bay. I became really sick late this year on a holiday and my bipolar and anxiety had me acting out. I did crazy out there stuff and had anger depression tantrums. I actually had panic attacks so bad I lost all feelings in my body and passed out 3 times at a gas station in central QLD and was rushed to hospital. Who the hell passes out from panic attacks. But I did kick my painkiller addiction while on holidays. 3 months clean! I decided to take action and the first pill I went on made me toxic. The second one hello 16 hours sleep and not being able to function. I'm now on a 3rd and I can see it's working. My anger has gone and my lows and high are still a bit to extreme but we are still adjusting the amount I should take. But I'm hating it. Everyday I can feel it clouding my brain. I can feel it changing my personality. I don't like it. I hate it!! I just want off. I just want to be me. I don't like this feeling. Is there anyone living a functional life with out medication? I'm more then happy to change my diet, do more exercise, talk to someone. I just can't do the pill life. I'm just really tiered and can't do it and hate hate hate hate hate being told your medication is no different to some one with asthma of diabetes. Um yes mine is because it messes with my brain.

Sunflowerrs Psychologist cancellation Fees
  • replies: 3

I had a really rough 24 hours, spent hours on the phone to lifeline and was nearly taken to hospital..Today I didn't feel up to seeing my psychologist, so I explinaed what happened & cancelled the appt. she's charged me with a $60 late fee?? I didn't... View more

I had a really rough 24 hours, spent hours on the phone to lifeline and was nearly taken to hospital..Today I didn't feel up to seeing my psychologist, so I explinaed what happened & cancelled the appt. she's charged me with a $60 late fee?? I didn't do anything wrong, and I don't understand why they would charge for something like that, when it's outside of my control? This seems really dumb

Glenns Medication
  • replies: 1

Hi BB I've been on anti depression tablets now for years. When I try to get off I become very shot and angry so I go back on . The issue is that my days are still dark . If I didn't have my kids and my partner I can honestly say I wouldn't be here . ... View more

Hi BB I've been on anti depression tablets now for years. When I try to get off I become very shot and angry so I go back on . The issue is that my days are still dark . If I didn't have my kids and my partner I can honestly say I wouldn't be here . Are there any suggestions or better treatments ? I'm still scared that one day I won't be able to fight it any more

moejo Anxiety - Lump in my throat?
  • replies: 5

Hi, I have suffered from anxiety for the past 10 or so years I've also had mild depression most of my adult life. Been on meds on and off over the last 10 years. Didnt like the dumbed down feeling I got. I gave the last lot of meds 18 mths and then w... View more

Hi, I have suffered from anxiety for the past 10 or so years I've also had mild depression most of my adult life. Been on meds on and off over the last 10 years. Didnt like the dumbed down feeling I got. I gave the last lot of meds 18 mths and then weened myself off. Been off for over a year now. Transferred to taking St Johns Wort and magnesium. The last month I've also added B12 and folinic acid and the last week have been taking a probiotic. The lump in my throat has been consistent for around the last month before I started the B vitamins. Actually as a side note since being on the B12 and folinic acid my shakes have reduced dramatically. And I'm trying the probiotic as there is a link between gut health and brain function. My question - is there anyone else who also has had this feeling in their throat? I know its an anxiety symptom and if I'm preoccupied with something it disappears/or at least I dont notice it. Also apart from going back on meds has anyone found a natural way to deal with this? Any info would be appreciated thanks.

sad_ads_ares Withdrawal from medication or something else?
  • replies: 2

My anxiety has heightened over the past few weeks so badly that I can't seem to calm it down in any way. I've been off my medication for two months could it be withdrawal ? Symptoms include crying hysterically, headaches, shaking, irritablity, jumpy,... View more

My anxiety has heightened over the past few weeks so badly that I can't seem to calm it down in any way. I've been off my medication for two months could it be withdrawal ? Symptoms include crying hysterically, headaches, shaking, irritablity, jumpy, racing thoughts, depression the list goes on

Countrymusicgirl New psychologist is leaving.

I know I've complained about how I dont see my new psychologist much due to work and their days on. But I finally opened up to them about the last month and my past. And that was my final session with them. ​It really has hit me hard. And I don't kno... View more

I know I've complained about how I dont see my new psychologist much due to work and their days on. But I finally opened up to them about the last month and my past. And that was my final session with them. ​It really has hit me hard. And I don't know why I'm feeling this but I'm feeling alone, abandoned and lost. ​​Is this normal ?

Sunflowerrs GP/medicare mental health plan
  • replies: 1

I finally found a trauma counsellor I like.. and I can't afford to keep seeing her cause she's not under the medicare plan as a psychologist. im seeing a psychologist in the meantime.. is there any way around this..

I finally found a trauma counsellor I like.. and I can't afford to keep seeing her cause she's not under the medicare plan as a psychologist. im seeing a psychologist in the meantime.. is there any way around this..

radarsan Long term treatment resistant depression & Anxiety- what next?
  • replies: 8

I guess my question boils down to, '..what next?' Over the past decades I have been diagnosed with Depression, anxiety, PTSD, Bipolar, Bipolar 2, melancholic depression. In what ever guise, it has cost me good jobs & relationships. I have tried a num... View more

I guess my question boils down to, '..what next?' Over the past decades I have been diagnosed with Depression, anxiety, PTSD, Bipolar, Bipolar 2, melancholic depression. In what ever guise, it has cost me good jobs & relationships. I have tried a number of medications & therapies, had a number of GP's, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, admitted myself twice to a mental health unit & done group work. My depression and anxiety come and go in various cycles, some lasting 12-18 months! My point of difference seems to be that this has gone on for decades (not weeks, or months like most folks) and that on or off meds I recover for a brief time then crash again. Lose a job, lose a relationship, get better... repeat I have always been highly motivated to work with therapists and happy to take any meds they throw at me. Including meds at high doses, complementary meds, also at high doses and up to multiples of 3 at a time. Some of these meds I have taken despite knowing the adverse side effects. After crashing again (finally) on some very high doses of multiple meds, exercising and doing CBT and mindfullness exercises, I decided to withdraw from treatment. After several months med free and ostensibly "treatment" free, I was in a more coherent and lucid state than I had been than when in treatment (over 12 months). My depression and anxiety were basically the same. But i did feel marginally better. Still not functional though. So now I find myself completely unmotivated to do anything or try anything. I am over putting in huge efforts, only to have the same cycle of depression and anxiety crush me after a few months. What next?

Kizmit2729 Where do I start looking

We're in south Perth can I see a gp that is decent and deals with mental health to give me my first step cause I'm lost at I have bpd depression anxiety am impolsive erattic and at the moment I'm getting more n more paranoid and scared of everything ... View more

We're in south Perth can I see a gp that is decent and deals with mental health to give me my first step cause I'm lost at I have bpd depression anxiety am impolsive erattic and at the moment I'm getting more n more paranoid and scared of everything I need help before I go back to not caring and starting my old ways again