Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

Guest_3712 Coping with coming off strong medication
  • replies: 51

Hi all, Its been a long time since I posted here but I've never forgotten the support I received during some very difficult times. Without going into a lot of details I have had major depression and anxiety for a number of years. Several admissions t... View more

Hi all, Its been a long time since I posted here but I've never forgotten the support I received during some very difficult times. Without going into a lot of details I have had major depression and anxiety for a number of years. Several admissions to psych hospitals, countless medication addictions and ongoing therapy and still I'm not "well". I have tried to live a 'normal' life these last couple of years, as possible as that is while still heavily medicated, I've had a job ( retrenched before Christmas) , seen my daughter marry and the birth of my first grandchild- all good for sure. But the price for this normality is that to function I have to take a lot of medication. But no more. I decided a week ago I cant live in this twilight world any longer and stopped one of my meds that left me so zoned out I could only take it at night or if I knew I wasn't go anywhere. not to mention the 30 plus kgs I've put on. I have a supportive psych who I see regularly and while he wasn't happy I stopped without talking to him first he understands my need to try and gain back some control of my life. Dear Readers I know I'm doing the right thing, but I have been on these meds for so long I'm scared I wont be able to hang in there. Its not my first time coming off strong medication but before I was in hospital and it was still very hard. I can feel some of the old anxieties creeping back and that dark cloak of depression I have managed to kept above my head, is beginning to slip further over my shoulders. If anyone has gone through similar experience I would appreciate any support or advice. Stressless

The_Possum Firing you psychologist
  • replies: 7

Has anyone fired their psychologist and how did you go about it? My psychologist has reduced her working days to only one day a week in My local area, and she also us on leave a lot making it hard to even book in. I'm going through a big issue right ... View more

Has anyone fired their psychologist and how did you go about it? My psychologist has reduced her working days to only one day a week in My local area, and she also us on leave a lot making it hard to even book in. I'm going through a big issue right now that is playing havoc on my bipolar depression. Yes I'm medicated but newly diagnosed. I need regular support, I can feel myself drifting downwards. All my psych can do is say on a text message 'don't forget self care sleeping and eating' It's a bit more of an issue than that.. It's just not good enough. She is letting me down.

missmjj Advice on MAOI DIET
  • replies: 4

Dr is weaning me off meds to start on MAOI but I'm scared,worried ,panicky and stressed as there are so many conflicting lists of what and what not to eat.Plus I'm vegetarian and it seems like it's going to be impossible.There seems to be some MAJOR ... View more

Dr is weaning me off meds to start on MAOI but I'm scared,worried ,panicky and stressed as there are so many conflicting lists of what and what not to eat.Plus I'm vegetarian and it seems like it's going to be impossible.There seems to be some MAJOR side effects if I sway from the diet Has anyone any info or reviews that could help.Not sure if it's worth it Tried almost every other types of meds.

AshnPolly Is ECT good?
  • replies: 12

Hi, my psych wants me to start ECT in a couple of weeks... Combined with new medications she is positive it will be a good thing but I'm quite scared. Is ECT ok? Is it an ok treatment?

Hi, my psych wants me to start ECT in a couple of weeks... Combined with new medications she is positive it will be a good thing but I'm quite scared. Is ECT ok? Is it an ok treatment?

sociallyawks when psychologists create another roadblock
  • replies: 3

Last year I got a referral and been an initial appointment with a psychologist. After that she couldn't fit me in for 5 weeks . I was already anxious and wanting help and after going once to then wait more than a month - not good enough, especially w... View more

Last year I got a referral and been an initial appointment with a psychologist. After that she couldn't fit me in for 5 weeks . I was already anxious and wanting help and after going once to then wait more than a month - not good enough, especially when the first appointment was all me talking and nothing to help me... no relief. I found a new job, things started looking better but i'm still anxiety ridden in and now in new job in a sector I don't know that well my confidence is down and I am anxious every day. I don't know why they couldn't match me with someone who would be around or have availability. Surely this makes it more difficult for people. i really don't want to go through again it puts me off the whole idea.....what can I do? Why is getting help so difficult?

alleywest Psychologist/psychiatrist etiquette?
  • replies: 4

Hi! I'm 23 and I've been seeing a psychologist for anxiety/panic/PTSD-style symptoms for about six months. I'm considering seeing a psychiatrist for the first time to seek a formal diagnosis or opinion. This would make some aspects of my life easier.... View more

Hi! I'm 23 and I've been seeing a psychologist for anxiety/panic/PTSD-style symptoms for about six months. I'm considering seeing a psychiatrist for the first time to seek a formal diagnosis or opinion. This would make some aspects of my life easier. I'm not particularly interested in medication at this stage, pending professional recommendations. Is it best practice to let my psychologist know about this ahead of time? Is it in the realm of normal practice for my psychologist to provide information (such as a letter or file) to the psychiatrist I choose to see? It can be expensive so I don't want to walk in empty-handed. What’s "normal" for interaction between the two? Thank you in advance, Alley

startingnew do helplines really help?
  • replies: 2

ive tried many different helplines and ive only actually been helped a few timesbut most of the time they just say to keep using the distractions and coping strategies that ive been using and to speak to my psychologist wow what a great help- if i wa... View more

ive tried many different helplines and ive only actually been helped a few timesbut most of the time they just say to keep using the distractions and coping strategies that ive been using and to speak to my psychologist wow what a great help- if i was doing that and it was helping me i wouldnt have rung now would i? wondering what others experiences are?

TeaRose Voluntary admission - Private or Public

Hi, I have recently reached out about the extent of my mental illness to love ones and seeing a psychologist/ psychiatrist regularly and have been told voluntary admission is a path I can go down (if I feel unsafe or at risk). I am new to this so jus... View more

Hi, I have recently reached out about the extent of my mental illness to love ones and seeing a psychologist/ psychiatrist regularly and have been told voluntary admission is a path I can go down (if I feel unsafe or at risk). I am new to this so just want to try get an understanding of what other people have experienced with either a public or private voluntary admission. From my understanding, public hospitals are often under resourced and can have people both in psychosis and not on the same ward and potentially escalate the symptoms one might have. Although, I do have private insurance, I will need to discuss with my provider about what cover I have - so cost may play a big role in this. Also the experience itself, did anyone find it helped and in what way? Thank you

keurium Just started on medication for depression

I'm new here, hi everyone! I don't have many people to talk to about this so I thought I'd try posting here. I 30, have been suffering with depression and anxiety for years and have avoided medication like the plague. Recently things have got worse -... View more

I'm new here, hi everyone! I don't have many people to talk to about this so I thought I'd try posting here. I 30, have been suffering with depression and anxiety for years and have avoided medication like the plague. Recently things have got worse - I've been unemployed, I'm constantly getting angry at people, and I've had chronic back pain for a year - I feel about 100 years old, like I'm completely over life. I've been vaguely getting into writing and I've had some articles published (for money!) but I am struggling to get motivated to do more. As I can't really see a future for myself, I decided asked my GP to prescribe an antidepressant. I've been on medication for three days so far and I haven't really felt any side effects. I was feeling a bit spaced out and tired to begin with but that's about it. I did actually feel myself concentrating better at work yesterday and feeling that some of my anxiety had lifted. I am hoping the medication also improves my back pain as I'm convinced it's connected to my mental state. I am very hopeful that this medication will help me. Just wanted to put this out there as I haven't been able to tell friends or family that I am on this medication - I'm hopeful and also a bit scared.

d_93 Hypnosis
  • replies: 6

Hi guys, my mum is a sufferer of agitated and paychotic depression. She has been in and out of hospital for the last 8 months and is currently receiving care within the community. They are switching and changing medications at the moment but she is w... View more

Hi guys, my mum is a sufferer of agitated and paychotic depression. She has been in and out of hospital for the last 8 months and is currently receiving care within the community. They are switching and changing medications at the moment but she is waking up every morning suffering, screaming and crying. It's really not nice to see and is hard on our family as we all work full time and are caring for her also as we can't leave her. Apparently there are no carers for anxiety and depression who come to the house and support people? We are trying everything. I was wondering also if anyone has had any positive stories or any information about hypnosis for anxiety and depression?