Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

doonacloud Coming off antidepressants: 28/f/Melbourne
  • replies: 3

I'm about to start coming off my antidepressants, and I'm not looking forward to the coming weeks of brain zaps. Now that it's been a couple of years on antidepressants, I'd like to know how I cope without them, and if they'll be a long-term solution... View more

I'm about to start coming off my antidepressants, and I'm not looking forward to the coming weeks of brain zaps. Now that it's been a couple of years on antidepressants, I'd like to know how I cope without them, and if they'll be a long-term solution. Has anyone here come off antidepressants successfully, or have tips on how to cope with the process?

Belle_Violette Weaning off medication - Rash/hives
  • replies: 1

Hi there! I've been weaning off my medication for the last few weeks. I was on this medication for about 6 months after giving birth last November. Today is my 3rd day medication free. Before this I was weaning down for 3 weeks. Around 2 weeks ago I ... View more

Hi there! I've been weaning off my medication for the last few weeks. I was on this medication for about 6 months after giving birth last November. Today is my 3rd day medication free. Before this I was weaning down for 3 weeks. Around 2 weeks ago I started to get a rash/hives over my body (mainly chest, back and few on arms and legs) I've seen my doctor and she didn't think it is connected to withdrawing from it. Anyone have anything similar happen when going off their medication and how long until it sorts itself out? Other than the rash I'm feeling really good otherwise. Thank you ~ Grace

kaeewhyyy Support groups Western Sydney

Was just wondering if anyone knew of any good support groups in the Western Sydney region? Been looking for a while now but haven't been able to find actual groups.

Was just wondering if anyone knew of any good support groups in the Western Sydney region? Been looking for a while now but haven't been able to find actual groups.

Nicole_A Bulk billed psychologists that can diagnose BPD?

Hey Guys, I am an 18 year old girl who has always been mentally unstable all her life. All my life and especially since starting university, my lifes been characterised by unstable relationships, chronic episodes of panic attacks and deep loneliness ... View more

Hey Guys, I am an 18 year old girl who has always been mentally unstable all her life. All my life and especially since starting university, my lifes been characterised by unstable relationships, chronic episodes of panic attacks and deep loneliness and trying to counteract this with binge eating and unhealthy drinking. ive now come to a point where im starting to realise that maybe it isnt the relationships and everyone else thats the problem, maybe its me. maybe there is something wrong with me. I'm starting to look up mental illnesses and Borderline Personality Disorder and high levels of anxiety. I want to know for sure by a diagnosis but i dont know where to start. i am also on centrelink payments so i dont have that much money on me. Are there clinical psychologists that would bulk bill diagnosis/treatment around Sydney CBD? I just want to be sure of something for once of my life and not feel lonely empty and upset with myself and life for once. Thank you. -Nicole

ScarlettR Normal side effects of not taking medication?
  • replies: 2

In 2011, I started taking antipsychotic medication for schizophrenia (although I was first diagnosed with this condition in 2008). I have taken the recommended dosage every day since then. Sometimes, when I had run out and can't purchase a new box st... View more

In 2011, I started taking antipsychotic medication for schizophrenia (although I was first diagnosed with this condition in 2008). I have taken the recommended dosage every day since then. Sometimes, when I had run out and can't purchase a new box straight away, I have to go a day or so without taking any. I start getting irritable pretty quick, as well as disorientated. It gets worse by the day, and I often worry that it would "alter my mindset" and I would not go to appointments or study because I would feel so confused. I don't ever lash out on anyone - I just keep it to myself, it's who I am. Fortunately, deep down I know I have to keep taking those tablets so it's at the back of my mind to purchase a box as soon as possible. It doesn't get as bad as hearing voices - I just get very irritable. I would like to stress again that I don't ever lash out on anyone unprovoked. What I do to remain as calm and collected as possible is to drink coffee or breathing exercises - that's the best I can do until I can afford to purchase a new box of meds. Would you consider my side effects normal or not?

Frustrated mumma Hospital turned my husband away
  • replies: 7

My husband tried to hurt himself today. First time ever this has happened. Mental ward had no beds. We stayed in emergency for 4 hours before the psychologist told him to go home, relax and have an early night. My husband told him he was not feeling ... View more

My husband tried to hurt himself today. First time ever this has happened. Mental ward had no beds. We stayed in emergency for 4 hours before the psychologist told him to go home, relax and have an early night. My husband told him he was not feeling right in the head and he was scared but we couldn't get help. So now im up making sure my husband wont harm himself by watching him sleep for my own peace of mind. Mental health system saving lives again not really sure what to do now. He has a psychiatrist app tomorrow afternoon at the clinic

George7 'Diebetic hypos"

Due to a pitutary tumor operation over 20 years ago, my Pitutory was damaged quiet a bit and after the operation I turned into a bad diabetic. Now here is the problem, because when I am in or exiting a hypo my sugar reading are often 10 to 14+ so the... View more

Due to a pitutary tumor operation over 20 years ago, my Pitutory was damaged quiet a bit and after the operation I turned into a bad diabetic. Now here is the problem, because when I am in or exiting a hypo my sugar reading are often 10 to 14+ so the Ambos, doctors, nurses so you are not having a hypo, I have been bashed and slapped around by nursers say it not a hypo and wake up, couple of weeks ago and another hypo and treated rather badly by ambos doctors and especially the hospitel emergency staff who all claimed its not a hypo and one claimed I was fakeing to get symphathy; Question I would like to know, does any Dr have the brains or knowlege to treat me with the respect I should get and say it a hypo.

Just_Lost natural remedys...do they help?

Good Morning, I'm suffering a bit of anxiety emotionally and want to try and calm down so I can think more clearly and be more rational. Are there any natural medications that I can try to help calm me down so I don't feel so on edge all the time. Wo... View more

Good Morning, I'm suffering a bit of anxiety emotionally and want to try and calm down so I can think more clearly and be more rational. Are there any natural medications that I can try to help calm me down so I don't feel so on edge all the time. Would rather not take prescription meds if I can help it.....any suggestions greatly received. Thanks

4pawslove Off and on, and constantly switching Medication
  • replies: 11

Hi there First time post for me, after reading the support an advice offered here I felt hopeful I could ask a few questions and share a bit of my story among people who understand and may also be able to offer me ideas. For me the last 6/8 months ha... View more

Hi there First time post for me, after reading the support an advice offered here I felt hopeful I could ask a few questions and share a bit of my story among people who understand and may also be able to offer me ideas. For me the last 6/8 months have been an on going battle and an utter disappointment as I promised myself I would not walk down this path again- yet I saw it coming and could not stop myself from slipping- so scary when you know all the signs and you try all the things you have learnt to aviod the dark but still it comes. This is why I take medication- but as of late nothing seems to be working and I have hit rock bottom. I have been in and out of depressive episodes for the past 10 years, most of which I have been medicated- taking various SNRI's (but they had no effect). In the past taking medication has worked because it enabled me to concentrate, to get on with tasks i was struggling with and getting overwhelmed with, stop my inner chatter and get me into a head space where I see things rationally. It would keep my mood stable by just making me feel numb. But the pay offs where a flat/foggy feeling, no emotional connection to one or anything, sweating, drowsiness and feeling like i've lost all personality/creativity and original thought. In the recent episode I have had- I have chopped and changed medication around alot, giving each a fair go (couple of months) but nothing seems to be working. So I've looked at other options- hypnotherapy, mediation, exercise, diet change, supplements, seeing a psychiatrist to change my medication yet again- but no progress. I am now 1 week in to no medication at all- and its not going well- I am very anxious .I know each person is different and medication has various effects but I wondered if anyone else has been through this constant search I seem to be on for the right way to move forward positively? I know this is the sort of stuff I should be asking a doctor but ive been to so many- ¬ found one I trust or feel has helped me in any way. Im over psychology, psychiatrists, health plans- they have all been dead ends for me. So wondering if anyone here has anything they would like to share that they think might help.

Lily95 Medication for Generalised Anxiety

Hi everyone, I feel a bit weird posting this as I have never used one of these forums before, but I have a lot of anxiety relating to my treatment currently that I feel as though I have no one to discuss this with. I was diagnosed with generalised an... View more

Hi everyone, I feel a bit weird posting this as I have never used one of these forums before, but I have a lot of anxiety relating to my treatment currently that I feel as though I have no one to discuss this with. I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder three years ago and have been managing it with cognitive behaviour therapy, counselling, exercise, etc., since. My psychologists have termed me as very 'high-functioning' and believed I would be best with medication from the beginning. I have tried to hold this off for a very long time as my mother has a very poor viewpoint on people who medicate for anxiety and depression...her viewpoints are not my own but I will as though I have 'failed' in a way because of her beliefs. *I study nursing and have a high respect for mental health and medication, this is just relating to my own treatment* Also because of my nursing degree, I feel as though I have almost too much knowledge of the side effects of these medications, and how hard it can be to come off them later. I'm in the final year of my degree and am no longer coping in terms of my anxiety, as I now have constant panic/panic attacks due to constant stress, high pressure environments and lack of sleep. My counsellor recommended me to discuss my options with my GP, whom I went to speak with today. He believes I am also suffering from a moderate amount of depression (which I had also realised) and wrote me a prescription for a low-dose of a common SSRI, and wants to have regular check-ups to monitor it's effectiveness. I just feel torn- I know in myself that something hasn't been right with me for the past couple of months, and that my symptoms are much more severe and frequent than usual. I'm scared about my current quality of life, and part of me believes that medication will help with this. But I'm also so cautious/anxious about possible side effects, and being able to come off this medication in the future. I realise this is a lengthy post but I'm hoping someone else may have had a similar experience and be able to reassure me!