FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

On the therapy journey

mocha delight
Community Member
I’m starting this thread to post about anything related to my treatment & therapy ect ect ect. Which I’ll start of saying I finally got a appointment with a psychologist on the 9th of September so over 3 weeks away. But not with the one me gp referred to as that psychologist unfortunately for me was not taking on new clients so I found one off the ‘find a professional’ from beyond blue of course and I did not no where else to go look. So already feel nervous & anxious about this appointment and I only made it today besides this psychologist is not one my gp recommended & referred me to. So now I would ever be grateful if anyone give me tips/hints ect ect ect of what to expect from my first ever psychologists appointment. What do I need to know? Now that most of you all have definitely gone through that first time psychologist appointment what kind of things should I ask/tell/mention? How many appointments average until I get a diagnosis? Do psychologists make the diagnosis’s? Does a gp? Or how do I get a diagnosis if a gp’s/psychologists don’t make the diagnosis? Ok yes I’m a complete newbie to trying to get a diagnosis but I just want to be completely prepared of how it works before my appointment. Did I mention I’m nervous and anxious?
82 Replies 82

mocha delight
Community Member
Well I’ve continued to feel worser depression wise after each appointment with my psychologist but which is that normal? Also coming up next month is my one year of seeing her and still no official diagnosis which has left me wondering if I’m to complicated and beyond help.

mocha delight
Community Member
So recent update I’ve now been seeing my psychologist now as of a year on the 17th of September this year and still no official diagnosis yet. And I saw my psychologist yesterday and she’s now recommended I go see a psychiatrist as well meanwhile I’ve not really been doing well mentally at all.

Hi md, I'm not sure if u will agree and no problem if not, but I think repeatedly feeling worse after sessions might be worth thinking about

Thank u for writing to us with the update

I find diagnosis stuff really difficult. Sometimes they are really arbitrary like if habe felt down for 6 months it's one type of depression, if it's been 2 years it's another... good luck with the psych and hope u get some clarity re a diagnosis, if that feels helpful for u.