FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

On the therapy journey

mocha delight
Community Member
I’m starting this thread to post about anything related to my treatment & therapy ect ect ect. Which I’ll start of saying I finally got a appointment with a psychologist on the 9th of September so over 3 weeks away. But not with the one me gp referred to as that psychologist unfortunately for me was not taking on new clients so I found one off the ‘find a professional’ from beyond blue of course and I did not no where else to go look. So already feel nervous & anxious about this appointment and I only made it today besides this psychologist is not one my gp recommended & referred me to. So now I would ever be grateful if anyone give me tips/hints ect ect ect of what to expect from my first ever psychologists appointment. What do I need to know? Now that most of you all have definitely gone through that first time psychologist appointment what kind of things should I ask/tell/mention? How many appointments average until I get a diagnosis? Do psychologists make the diagnosis’s? Does a gp? Or how do I get a diagnosis if a gp’s/psychologists don’t make the diagnosis? Ok yes I’m a complete newbie to trying to get a diagnosis but I just want to be completely prepared of how it works before my appointment. Did I mention I’m nervous and anxious?
82 Replies 82

Hey mocha, I hope you've been well. Take care.

Guest_4643
Community Member
Hi Mocha, I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and i hope you're ok and safe xx

mocha delight
Community Member
I’m feeling very very very discouraged and down since my psych appointment today and it’s just know playing with my trust issues big time that I have with just everyone and for no reason at all. And I’m just be left wondering what’s the point of going & continuing. I’ve also been wondering if I made a major mistake in the choice psychologist I picked to see after learning the one my gp had referred me to was not taking on new clients and whether I would of been better if seeing a clinical psychologist or worse case Sanrio a psychiatrist.

hey mocha

thats tough. What is the advantage of seeing a clinical psych or psychiatrist? i hope u can find one that you feel safe with.... it's definiely a hard process. Also expensive (eek!)

mocha delight
Community Member
I feel like mentally that this whole process is just continuously making things worser for me. And I’m sick of my family making me feel like everything I do and say is wrong.

Hey mocha, I'm sorry I haven't been around, I took a bit of time away from the forums.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I hope things get better for you, we're always here. How are you doing now?

Hi mb20lover yeah I’ve been more down mood wise then up and you?

sorry to hear that. i have been too.

mocha delight
Community Member
Well I’ve followed my psychologists advice and I got some art stuff to start doing drawing as she said doing some art may help. Which I was more leaning towards painting but then I remembered some of the most famous artists who draw/and or paint aren’t that great at drawing either but that’s what adds to their talent ect ect ect so I thought why not start with drawing even if I’m not great at it besides paint drys out were is pencils don’t. So I got some water colour pencils in a 12 pack & 6 individual extra individual colours, some pastel colour pencils, a a4 & half that size sketch pad, a a4 & half that water colour pad, a sharpener and 2 erasers. I also do want to get some more individual water colour & pastel colour pencils, some different sized normal pencils, some charcoal pencils, a a3 sketch & drawing pads and something to but the drawing & sketching pads plus something to keep the extra pencils ect ect ect in for when not using or if going somewhere as well.

that's good to hear, i hope it helps. i'm not artistic in any way, i wish i was. i do like art though. i like going to the art shows in my town, sometimes i buy stuff. i haven't for the last year or 2 but before that i have. have fun with your art, if you like it.