FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

On the therapy journey

mocha delight
Community Member
I’m starting this thread to post about anything related to my treatment & therapy ect ect ect. Which I’ll start of saying I finally got a appointment with a psychologist on the 9th of September so over 3 weeks away. But not with the one me gp referred to as that psychologist unfortunately for me was not taking on new clients so I found one off the ‘find a professional’ from beyond blue of course and I did not no where else to go look. So already feel nervous & anxious about this appointment and I only made it today besides this psychologist is not one my gp recommended & referred me to. So now I would ever be grateful if anyone give me tips/hints ect ect ect of what to expect from my first ever psychologists appointment. What do I need to know? Now that most of you all have definitely gone through that first time psychologist appointment what kind of things should I ask/tell/mention? How many appointments average until I get a diagnosis? Do psychologists make the diagnosis’s? Does a gp? Or how do I get a diagnosis if a gp’s/psychologists don’t make the diagnosis? Ok yes I’m a complete newbie to trying to get a diagnosis but I just want to be completely prepared of how it works before my appointment. Did I mention I’m nervous and anxious?
82 Replies 82

mocha delight said:Thanks for your reply ecomama well I’m 33 in December and my psych definitely mentioned general anxiety disorder

Hi darling mocha,

okay then that's also known as GAD. There are threads here on GAD.

But that book by Dr Mark Cross is quite brilliant. He's a Psychiatrist who also HAS GAD and has had to find ways to cope with it interfering in his life all his life (or since his teens he thinks)...

Local Libraries will purchase titles you ask them to lol, ANY MH titles are hot to trot right now, so I'd ask them to buy a few copies lol.
Or if you want your own copy, it's easy to buy.

There's ALSO a wonderful subscription our local library has and you can read it online through the library's website.
It's called "Psychology Today", it's AMAZING. Full of cutting edge research on things that are REALLY helping ppl with MH issues.
LOVE IT.

Firstly, Concentrating on all things that can lift your depression is truly key to managing the rest IME.

Sleepy, monkey and I post regularly on the "Self-care thread", I hope to see you over there!

Love EM

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hey mocha delight, nice to see you around. Sorry I just found your thread.

I'm glad you found a Psychologist, I hope it all goes well for you.

Take care.

- Tayla

mocha delight
Community Member
Well I’m still very up & down with my moods and i hate it how every time I’m on my iPad that mum asks me what I’m doing kind of now feel like she thinks I’m doing something wrong when I’m definitely not like a few hours ago I was here briefly on the forums and she asked me that question.

I'm sorry to hear that mocha, I hope you're ok. I guess your Mum is just asking that to be protective.

Thanks md20lover I just hate feeling like everything I do and say is wrong & I’m having more bad days then good. And how are you going? How is everyone going?

Hey mocha.

Nothing you say or do is wrong in my opinion, I think you're a great member of the forums who is kind, caring and supportive, and you give good advice to others in your comments. You've been there for me and I'm here for you, I appreciate that. But I feel the exact same way as you, unfortunately, believe me. I'm also having more bad days than good too. I don't even know what a "good day" is to be honest.

I'm ok, I've been depressed, even though I saw my Psychiatrist yesterday. How are you?

That’s a good question and extremely up & down mood wise but more down then up lately more and more but I see my psychologist again not this Wednesday but the one after.

I'm sorry to hear that, I know how you feel. For me it's mostly just down. I'm here for you.

That's good that you see your Psychologist soon, I don't have one because I've always had bad experiences with Psychologists whether it's in person or on Telehealth, but I'm still looking for some although they'll probably let me down too. I know how hard it is waiting to see them, I hope it goes quicly for you and you have a good session.

This will be the 8th appointment with the psychologist.

That's good, I hope it goes well for you mocha.