FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Numbness

Emmy.
Community Member

Is it common to just be numb to emotions when you're on antidepressants?

Ive been on antidepressants for just over 2 years now, and during that time (about a year ago) lost my Mum very suddenly.  

About 3 months ago I tried to come of the medication (with the assistance from my doctor), unfortunately the panic attacks, anxiety and black fog came back home to me and as a result I'm back on them again.  

But during the 6 weeks I was off my medicine I grieved differently. I felt it in a totally different way.  Same with all emotions joy and sadness.  

Is it normal to just feel numb?  I suppose it just means the antidepressants are doing there job.

2 Replies 2

Paul
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Emmy,

Glad you've dropped in to ask this question - It's an interesting one. I must preface this by saying I am not a Dr of any sort (only in my own mind)

My experience has been - I've felt the numb you describe. It concerned me at first and made me wonder if it would make me stop loving people. It didn't, and I also guessed at the time that it was the medication doing its job. I also weighed this up against feeling numb or feeling like I was in a black pit of doom. I chose numb.

I experienced a change in medication about 3 years ago where I had to reduce one wait a few days then start the new one. Not too much was different in every day life, except for some sexual differences.

I have heard others describe feeling a bit numb as well. 

I'm interested in what others' experiences have been.

Take care Emmy

Paul

Emmy.
Community Member

Thank you for sharing your experience Paul, nice to know I'm not alone in this.