FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New psychologist tomorrow. Overthinking and obsessing about the meeting. Worried.

Guest_523
Community Member
I dread this and I will go over and over in my head imagining the meeting and want to make sure I say the right thing. I mean I will be real and truthful however I feel as if I am very misunderstood and have to make sure that everything is perfect so that I am not judged in a bad way. Yeah, that I how I roll lol. I do this in my personal life, working constantly to make sure that everyone is happy and safe and that everything is ....perfect. This wears me out of course. I have no idea where this comes from. I had such a not so good experience with my first psychologist, we did not click. I am a stress head and I work at avoiding any kind of confrontation with people as this makes my blood pressure blow out. Even on my 7 kilometer walk today it went so fast because all the time I was going over and over in my head about tomorrow. I have a trust issues. My former GP was condescending and crude so I removed myself from that situation. My GP that I have now is lovely, she is not rude and listens to me and is kind. This is huge to me, how people respond to me. I have no idea what this person will be like so I imagine that it will tank so I wont be too disappointed. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Kind regards Robert
5 Replies 5

Daisy129
Community Member

Hi Rob, oh, I so know what you mean about going over and over stuff in your head, it's just awful.

For me, the best way to deal with the spiralling thoughts is to sit down and write as much as I can down to get it out of my head and onto paper. Once I start repeating stuff it feels like the main points are out.

I also find that writing down some key points and taking them to a first session with a new psychologist can help. I get easily distracted by questions and forget the things I want to say so it's good to have them written down. You wont be able to get everything across in one session but if they are any good and you see them again, they will eventually get a sense of who you are and what you need to talk about most.

Good luck tomorrow, I hope this helps and I hope you can manage to feel a bit better before your appointment.

Thank you so much!! Great idea there about writing things down. My mind races so much that I forget as well. You made my day thanks!! 🙂

Glad to be able help 🙂

The session went a lot better than I thought it would. I am feeling good about this new one. 🙂

Great to hear 🙂